Mark IV cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talus

Reaction score
How are the cleans on the MarkIV, compared to say the Lonestar Special or the Roadster?

I had a LSS for about a month and I just couldn't get it to sound totally clean with anything but a strat. It had a mild but rather pleasant breakup with any guitar with humbuckers which worked great for single note stuff, but any kind of rhythm playing it just kind of sounded like mud. I was fairly unhappy with the lead sounds as well, just didn't sound good unless I pulled out the strat.

So that went back, I figured I'd try a Roadster. At first, the cleans seemed okay, not totally clean, but it sounded cleaner than the LSS with the humbuckers. Not to mention the Brit and Raw settings were great. Took it out to gig, which made the cleans sound much worse, and everything else better. I'm also not finding a good lead sound I like on the roadster, it's taking two OD pedals, compression and an EQ to get a lead sound I can live with, which in my opinion I really shouldn't have to do with a $2500 amp. Along with that it's just not appropriate for me anymore since I'm not really playing a whole lot of heavy music right now.

Roadster is going back, and I'm running out of amps to try, I want to give the Mark IV a shot because I've heard so many incredibly good lead sounds out of it, but I really haven't heard much talk about the clean sounds. Right now for all of my gigs I'm playing rhythm, since nobody else around town does, it leaves plenty of work for me. I find myself mostly playing blues and classic rock stuff, so good cleans and good light crunch are absolutely a must.

So the smart thing would be for me to be done with it and buy a fender twin, or something along those lines. Problem is, I really don't want to play rhythm forever, and I want to be able to pull off a solo with that Petrucci, Satriani, Vai, Timmons type of sound. That and I already play a lot of that stuff at home and at jams.

So can the Mark IV pull this stuff off? Or am I best looking elsewhere?

You know that's not the first time I've heard that, but I've got to say the last time I tried a Stiletto out I was completely unimpressed by it. It sounded fairly harsh and overly bright to my ears, like someone had cranked the prescence all the way up, despite me having it turned completely off. Maybe I'll try it again just to see if it was that particular amp or not.

the stiletto is a fairly bright amp. the stage II is better than the stage I. if you like timmons tone you should know he uses the stiletto. it is possible to tame the highs on it. EH 12ax7s help a lot with that. also, much like an old marshall, you want to roll back the tone control on your guitar slightly. and dont be afraid to crank it. as the volume increases the bass will come in and the highs will balance out.

I love my Ace 2x12 but I also love my Mark.

The mark has the better cleans of the two without question but the Ace's cleans are remarkable, esp for an EL34 amp. Ace will get you classic rock + awesome liquid lead for days... but so will the mark, they're just voiced very differently.

Here's a clip of my markIV's cleans(turn it up loud).. see if this helps you out. I prefer this tone to the LSS cleans without a doubt but I've only played the LSC once so I won't comment on that one.
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/guitar/mark/cleanjam.avi

Here are the Ace's cleans:
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/guitar/ace/cleanbloom.avi

If you go to the root of those two directories you can hear a multitude of different voicings.

I never really used the "clean" channel as such when I had my deuce. my clean was set to fat clean, and cranked to so as to provide a thick crunch tone a la purple haze. my gain channel was set to tite gain. I had the rhythm pickup volume (gotta love the 4 knob les paul) set to like 2. so when I wanted clean I would flip to the neck pickup and bam, thick fendery clean that would break just a tad when you slam it. I think thats his best bet. get a stiletto set channel 1 to crunch or fat clean and dial in a crunch tone, set channel 2 to the highest gain you use in either crunch or tite clean. then use the volume pedal and the footswitch to change sounds. start in channel 1 and back off the volume pedal for clean, or push it foward for crunch, switch to channel 2 for lead, or back off the volume in channel 2 for an alternate/slightly dirtier crunch or a low gain/blusey lead

Back