Mark IV Channel Switching w/o Foot switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topcat0399

Reaction score
Is there a way to switch between the amp channels if my foot switch happened to die at a gig?

Just curious - I like to be prepared.

All flamers welcome.

I just started doing this last week because I only switched between R1 and Lead anyway... I use the two button Mesa "Rev / EQ" footswitch from the III's, a stereo cable and a stereo Y cable adaptor. Run the footswitch to the Ext. switches on the back of the IV for R1 and Lead and change the dial to "Ext. Switches". Once you can turn on/off each channel with the footswitch separately, you have to sync them so when hit both buttons at the same time, it will change R1 off and Lead on and vice versa. And it takes up a much smaller footprint on your board.

The Mark V can accomplish this with a one-button switch because the default channel is R1, so if you switch off the lead channel, it activates R1 by default. That works a little better because you only have to hit one switch.

Good luck!

No, not a dumb question actually. If you've always had a footswitch, and always used it, there wouldn't really be any reason to know about that knob. I know because my mark IV didn't come with a footswitch, and I used it without one for a few weeks before ordering one from mesa.

With a bit of engineering skillz you could build a dedicated footswitch if you had limited needs - just get an enclosure and some switches from mammoth electronics, and figure out how to rig what you need. Like if all you needed are R1 and the lead channel, and an EQ switch, and perhaps a reverb switch - you could get all that with just 3 buttons.

sduck said:
No, not a dumb question actually. If you've always had a footswitch, and always used it, there wouldn't really be any reason to know about that knob. I know because my mark IV didn't come with a footswitch, and I used it without one for a few weeks before ordering one from mesa.

With a bit of engineering skillz you could build a dedicated footswitch if you had limited needs - just get an enclosure and some switches from mammoth electronics, and figure out how to rig what you need. Like if all you needed are R1 and the lead channel, and an EQ switch, and perhaps a reverb switch - you could get all that with just 3 buttons.

must have been sort of a pain reaching for that knob i'm thinkin.

I use all three channels and the eq switch constantly. 3 channel switching just rocks.

the skill i got - its the will thats the problem :? :!:

Any switcher Axess, RJM, Voodoo Lab GCX etc. will work as well if you want to have the ability to control it via midi.

Back