Mark IV-change channels with G Major

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
High everyone in the Boogie Land, i 've got a broblem and i need your help. My G MAjor says it can change the channels of an amp along with its own effect so you dont have to press the Boogies foot controller and the G MAjors to go from a clean sound with chorus to a lead sound with delay, just the second one. Any idea if and how i can do this with my Mark IV?

i've never really used a gmajor. but theoretically you can program channel switches into the programs you have on it. there should be jacks on it to connect to whatever amp's external switch jacks.

The G-Major work well for switching 2 channels (e.g.: R1 and Lead) but you must always make sure that one relay is set to "off" when the other is "on" (never operate the unit to have both relays "on" at the same time because you can damage your Mark IV). I use a stereo-to-mono cable and set the Mark IV to "external switching". I suggest that you program your G-Major one channel at a time (leave one of the mono cable unplugged), then when you are sure that both relay are working properly then plugs the two mono cables. Remember !!! ON-OFF / OFF-ON but never ON-ON.

I use the FCB 1010 to control mine, which has 2 relays, and the G-Major with a stereo cable, thus creating two relays there, a total of four.

I have 2 of them into R1 and Lead and the other 2 in EQ and Loop. It means I can't switch Simul/Class A or to R2 but there's a way round the latter. I leave the footswitch plugged in, set to R2, which means when both relays on the channel jacks are off, it goes to R2.

With this setup I can easily switch from R1, with loop on, with chorus, to Lead, with loop on and EQ on, with delay, to R2, with no loop and no EQ, and thus no effects.

I use a G-Major and FCB1010 controller too. What I did is I built a relay interface box that takes the two relays from the G-Major and turns them into three outputs. This way my G-Major controls the channel switching on my MKIV completely. The FCB controls my EQ and ClassA/Simul. The schematic is easy for the switch box, I'll try to post tonight with pics of my switcher too.

Just to give an intro, I use two TPDT relays that use a 12VDC coil with a external 12VDC walwart (power supply). The normally closed of one set of contacts on both relays is used in series so that when both relays are in their resting state (no power applied) then there is a short that triggers rythm one on my MKIV. The second set of contacts on both relays are used for the triggering of rythm 2. The first relay uses the normally open contact and the common, but the common is then fed to the normally closed of the second relay which then feeds the common to the MKIV so that Rythm two can only be triggered if the first relay is powered and the second relay is not powered. This prevents both channels being triggered on the MKIV. The third set of contacts is used on the second relay on the common and normally open to trigger the lead channel. This way when I program the G-Major to select Rythm 1, I just leave the relays unselected in the program that I want clean. For Rythm 2, I use relay two on the G-major. For lead, I program Relay 1 on the G-major. I have a stereo plug coming out of the G-Major that goes to my switcher box and three cables out of my switcher box to the MKIV. It is easier than it sounds IMO

First of all i d' like to thank you all for your replays. Gladly i made some steps forward in this matter!

I plugged a stereo cable (one stereo jack to 2 mono jacks) in the switch out of the G Major, the first mono jack in the lead and the second in the rythm 1 and with the relay configuration i managed to change these two channels(great progress for me)!!!

Now "Ursinus", when i turn the two relays of both channels were activated and i know this very bad so i turned it off emmediately(you mentioned it in your response i think).

My major question is what is that box interface you are using? Is it a machine that you made, or bought? I understand what it do. When the two relays are off it gives a sign in the third jack so that you can take advantage of the off/off relay. Is that right ?

Where can i found this kind of equipment?

Ihave an other small question for you. My fcb expresion pedal doesnt work right. In the lower position it gives me the 5% of the price and not the 0%. It used to work just fine.I did the pedal calibration in the G Major but nothing changed.

Has this ever happend to you. You think that it has being damaged?

Thanks.

DIMOSSTATHOULIS said:
First of all i d' like to thank you all for your replays. Gladly i made some steps forward in this matter!

I plugged a stereo cable (one stereo jack to 2 mono jacks) in the switch out of the G Major, the first mono jack in the lead and the second in the rythm 1 and with the relay configuration i managed to change these two channels(great progress for me)!!!

Now "Ursinus", when i turn the two relays of both channels were activated and i know this very bad so i turned it off emmediately(you mentioned it in your response i think).

My major question is what is that box interface you are using? Is it a machine that you made, or bought? I understand what it do. When the two relays are off it gives a sign in the third jack so that you can take advantage of the off/off relay. Is that right ?

Where can i found this kind of equipment?

Ihave an other small question for you. My fcb expresion pedal doesnt work right. In the lower position it gives me the 5% of the price and not the 0%. It used to work just fine.I did the pedal calibration in the G Major but nothing changed.

Has this ever happend to you. You think that it has being damaged?

Thanks.

I joined the fcb1010 discussion group and they mentioned that sometimes the led that points through the gradient strip gets misaligned in shipping. They recommend taking it apart and realigning it. Also, I built my own swithing box, it cost me about $70.00 US in parts, but the Axess Electronics one does the same thing. I don't know what it costs.

It is very important that you not let both relays of your MKIV trigger at the same time. Damage can occur, so be careful. Enjoy...... :D

Yes but the G major says it can change up to 3 channels by it self without any other equipment. How in the hell can i do this with a stereo cable that splits into two mono cables. How can i activate the 3rd channel with these connections. The G major says 3 channels , not 2!

DIMOSSTATHOULIS said:
Yes but the G major says it can change up to 3 channels by it self without any other equipment. How in the hell can i do this with a stereo cable that splits into two mono cables. How can i activate the 3rd channel with these connections. The G major says 3 channels , not 2!

I think they are wrong.... here are some pics of my box:
DSCN0877.jpg

DSCN0870.jpg

Hope this helps....

Man it helped a lot. Thank you a lot for the trouble of taking photos etc.. You are a great guy. My wife is very fond of your country and she is very enthusiastic about the fact that i am talking with America.

Now let me ask you an other question since we share the same equipment.

Have you found something in the G Major that looks like a Wah-Wah effect. I tried the resonance filter with expression pedals but it didnt sound very well. Please inform me if you have found any good settings for the resonance filter or you use an other Wah-Wah.

I am working with my band the Home from Dream Theater and i am looking for an effect that looks like the one Petrucci uses when the distorsion apears for the first time in the intro (the D note). I hear something that looks like a wah- wah with flanger? I dont Know.

Be cool , rock hard! 8)

DIMOSSTATHOULIS said:
Have you found something in the G Major that looks like a Wah-Wah effect. I tried the resonance filter with expression pedals but it didnt sound very well. Please inform me if you have found any good settings for the resonance filter or you use an other Wah-Wah.

You really need to buy a wah pedal and stick it out in front of the preamp for this to sound good. There is a suggested setting to try on TC electronics FAQ on their site somewhere, but I tried it and it sounded horrible and brittle.

There's really no effects loop substitution for a wah between the guitar and amp.

Back