Mark IV B: head or combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blastomorpha

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post here!
Looking for versatility and good tone I decide to buy a MarkIV, but I can't decide between a combo or a medium head, both second hand from 2008, nearly at the same price.
I like to play every kind of music without limitations and the MarkIV seems to suit perfectly my needs, great clean, warm crunch (which I miss a lot on my ENGL Fireball, apart from the shared EQ) and smooth or bones crushing lead, but whit my band I play heavy stuff like Mastodon, Meshuggah and Dillinger Escape Plan and our original songs, maybe the combo (plus a good 1x12 closed cab) could lack the "thump" on stage?
Should I go for the head and a 2x12 with EVL12L speakers, like the good old vertical Halfback?
Thanks for any advice!

Have you considered a Thiele cabinet? EVM-loaded Thiele cabinets (1x12) are designed to deliver the low-end thump. You could combine this with a combo, or go with the head and get either an open or closed back 1x12 to accompany the Thiele. Or get multiple Thieles.

i always suggest to people that they go with a head and cab combination, versus the all in one.

1. it's much lighter, easier to carry a head, and cab, than a combo.
2. if the head dies, you still got a good cab, and vice versa.
3. with a cab, you can change the speakers, add another cabinet, etc etc.
4. when recording, i can place my head directly in front of the speakers, and invoke some really sweet tube/amp volume interaction, it's pretty fun to do.
5. i have (3) 1x12 cabs. i can mix and match them at will, and even create odd balances on the amplifier to affect the tone. i can do a gig with all 3 cabs behind me, pointed at me; or, two behind me and one placed on the OTHER side of the drum riser, for the other guys to use to monitor me (they can point it right at them, or away from them, depends on the acoustics of the room); i can put one on the floor in front of me as a monitor, and turn the other two backwards for micing and controlling stage volume (sound guys love that setup); i can run one forward, one backwards, and one towards the drummer; etc, etc, etc, etc

gonzo said:
i always suggest to people that they go with a head and cab combination, versus the all in one.

1. it's much lighter, easier to carry a head, and cab, than a combo.
2. if the head dies, you still got a good cab, and vice versa.
3. with a cab, you can change the speakers, add another cabinet, etc etc.
4. when recording, i can place my head directly in front of the speakers, and invoke some really sweet tube/amp volume interaction, it's pretty fun to do.
5. i have (3) 1x12 cabs. i can mix and match them at will, and even create odd balances on the amplifier to affect the tone. i can do a gig with all 3 cabs behind me, pointed at me; or, two behind me and one placed on the OTHER side of the drum riser, for the other guys to use to monitor me (they can point it right at them, or away from them, depends on the acoustics of the room); i can put one on the floor in front of me as a monitor, and turn the other two backwards for micing and controlling stage volume (sound guys love that setup); i can run one forward, one backwards, and one towards the drummer; etc, etc, etc, etc

Wow, thanks for this! I was basically thinking of the same question as the TS; I'm getting a head and cab. I bet it'll rock more with the recto 2x12 cab.

Now I just need the money haha.

Back