Mark IV and top 40 cover band

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrickn

Reaction score
I'm selling my Rectoverb and my Dual Rectifier head because I've wanted a MArk IV for a long time..and I shall have one (hopefully sooner than later.) 8) I was wondering though, how the MArk IV would be at covering some of the more contemporary Hard rock acts like Godsmack and the like. I know they recorded their early stuff with the Rectifier's, now switching to Diezels, but will the MArk IV handle that kind of music too. I'm going to get one regardless because of the other styles I play, but it's just something I was wondering. I may keep the Rectoverb for that kind of music, the Dual drives me nuts as the overdrive is all over the place.
thanks.

I used a Mark IV for a band covering everything from Elvis to Green Day without pedals. I set the 3 channels to taste without the EQ, and used the EQ to boost solos. You wont nail the heavier tones, but your audience wont know (or care).

electrickn said:
I'm selling my Rectoverb and my Dual Rectifier head because I've wanted a MArk IV for a long time..and I shall have one (hopefully sooner than later.) 8) I was wondering though, how the MArk IV would be at covering some of the more contemporary Hard rock acts like Godsmack and the like. I know they recorded their early stuff with the Rectifier's, now switching to Diezels, but will the MArk IV handle that kind of music too. I'm going to get one regardless because of the other styles I play, but it's just something I was wondering. I may keep the Rectoverb for that kind of music, the Dual drives me nuts as the overdrive is all over the place.
thanks.

By using a 4x12 cab you can certainly get real close to a Recto vibe using a MkIV. But you will never cover all the territory a MkIV will with a Recto.

It might be difficult to cover the Dual perfectly with the Mark IV but you will get lots of versatility. It is definitely tighter than the Dual. The Dual gets a little deeper too though. You can get close enough through the use of outboard effects though that unless someone is really scutinizing the tone that you should be able to cover just about anything. Besides, in a bar, most people are getting wasted anyway and as long as you have presence as a band then things work fine. I have dealt with aweful shows that still got compliments. Go figure...

Oh yeah , keep the Rectoverb if you really want the Dual sound.

I use my MKIV with a cover band. Elvis, Petty, Grand funk, beatles,Ozzy,Queen,....the list goes on. It doesn't nail a recto tone but if you use the EQ right you can have it set to get a little more sizzle out of the lead channel.

You won't regret buying the MKIV.

Thnaks for all the input, I probably will keep the combo, and lose the dual rectifier. Then, if all goes well...get the much saught after Mark IV. I can't tell you how much I want that amp...though, I think a lot of you probably understand.

Back