Mark IV and Boss GT-8 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingalien

Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a while, but everytime I have it's been helpful. So here's my situation: I run a Boss GT-8 in the effects loop of the Mark IV using the 4 cable method. I bypassed the preamp of the GT-8, using it only for wah,delay,phlanger, noise gate, and reverb. My problem is switching channels on the Mark IV from rhy1 to rhy2 to lead. If I have my Mark IV footboard connected it's easy to do, except for the fact that I also need to get rid of/turn on phlanger, delay, etc. depending on what I'm playing, so I'm dancing on both the GT-8 and the Mark IV footboard.

There is a single controllable "AMP CONTROL" out on the GT-8, but I'm not sure how to hook it up to the back of the Mark IV to switch channels. I will be more than happy just to be able to switch from rhy1 to lead and back. So how do I do this without using the Mark IV footboard?

Update:
I used a 1/4in to 1/4in cable from AMP CONTROL of Boss GT-8 to the ext switch lead jack of mark IV. I had the channel mode set to ext. switch as well. This turns lead on and off, but when it is not on lead (in other words off) none of the channels are selected (no lights turn on indicating channel). What's going on here? There is sound but it's very plain sounding, i.e. not utilizing mark iv preamp.

Using the ext. control jacks on the MIV is strange for exactly the reason you said... when you don't trigger any of the channels by relay, you get a very generic tone. It's like channel 0.

The bad news is, in order to switch all the channels on the MIV, you're going to need something more substantial than the GT8. When I had my MIV and GT8, I used a Nobels MS4 for MIDI-enabled amp switching. I've also used a Rolls RP93 successfully with the MIV. Other units that can do the job are the Rocktron Patchmate, GCX Switcher, Nobels MS8, Rocktron MIDI Octopus... there are probably a few more I've overlooked.

--B

Thanks for the reply, and the suggestions. I'm hooked on the lead channel of the Mark IV. I've been using the GT-8 preamp for my band's gigs, but it's worth buying a midi device to use the boogie tone.

i have the same set up like you surfingalien, what i do is i just make patches on the gt8 for every song we cover and switch the mark IV's channels with the footswitch of course for every song or everytime i have to.. It works really well for me. I couldnt ask for more

willrock, that's exactly what I'm doing right now... until I can get a midi device. If you have time, share your settings with me. Here are mine:

(By the way, many of these settings were inspired by people on this forum, as well as on the bossgtcentral forum)

On Mark IV, across top row: pull6, pull10, 6, 4, 5, 8, 3, pull4, pull/push3
across bottom row: pull8, 8, 3, 4, push/pull8, 4, 4.5, 4
output level: 5
simul class/class A, pentode/triode, harmonics, reverb at 0
-anytime I put in a "/" the setting to the left is what I use in a band setting and to the right is at home practicing.

On GT-8: *fx chain: guitar->WAH->LP->CS->PRE->NS->FV->OD->CE
->RV->EQ->DD->FX1->FX2->DGT->speaker
noise suppressor: 66/30
NS threshold: +2dB
Master patch level: 150
Output select: stack return

*capital letters mean the effects are engaged on the GT-8, really all I use are noise suppressor, delay, chorus, phlanger(fx1), wah, of course the loop button should be on using 4cable method, and I think FV is on as well(foot volume). OVERALL MASTER VOLUME IS CONTROLLED BY GT-8's little output knob on the back. GT-8 PREAMPS SHOULD BE OFF.

The tone is godly. Hope this ends up helping someone out.

On GT-8: *fx chain: guitar->WAH->LP->CS->PRE->NS->FV->OD->CE
->RV->EQ->DD->FX1->FX2->DGT->speaker
noise suppressor: 66/30
NS threshold: +2dB
Master patch level: 150
Output select: stack return

I checked out your settings and I have a suggestion. I have a Boss GT Pro (rackmount GT8 - it's stereo with extra stuff) I use it with a Mk IV and a Simul-class head. I see your loop (LP) is ahead of your pre-amp and OD. I gotten WAY better tonal response by putting the loop after the noise suppressor and the OD in front of the pre-amp. Essentially like this:
COM (or WAH)>OD>PRE>NS>LP>FV>EQ>(TIME DOMAIN STUFF TO TASTE)>out to power amp.
This is a dead quiet way to get some great tones, I use the 4 wire system (8 for me) and use the pre-amp as a glorified stomp box into the front of the MkIV and Simul-class. Pristine clean, huge tone, and WIDE stereo field.
As far as your channel switching - I prefer the MkIV footswitch. I setup all the patches to default to the clean channel and when I want some extra growl I just step on the lead channel and take off.

i use the axess cfx-4 with my mark iv to switch channels, it works great. i haven't gotten an fx processor to use with it yet though but i'm sure it will get the job done with multiple midi messages per stomp

a bandmate has the GT8 also. I was hoping I could set him up with our Rectifier so that the GT8 could control channel switching.

JUST TO RECAP THEN....the GT8 is bad at channel switching? This would really suck if i have to go out and buy something that the gt8 should be doing on its own. are you guys sure you messed with every possible variable?

I don't think the GT8's bad at channel switching... it just only has a single 1/4" relay for switching. So if you've got a two channel amp, the GT8 can handle it. But if you've got an amp with more than 2 channels, or if you want to switch other options (reverb, FX loop, solo boost, etc), then you'll need a supplemental switching device.

--B

Latest posts

Back