Mark IV and alternative drop tunings question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourque

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to learn any of the tunes yet, my stuff is not home. I've been itching to though. I picked up the newest album and it is killer! Awesome Pantera style groove.

I figured the B tuning of some of their songs I'd use the 7-string. Should be alright. I was thinking in my head how I might set-up the IV lead channel to get a dirty metal tone similar to that. Obviously that's all Marshall but I think the IV could get pretty dirty beside that tone.

Grrreat song.

Definitely doable....the Mark IV stays soo tight when tuned down that it's not even funny. The only way to describe it is BRUTAL! It puts a grin on my face every time :D

I thought Pepper Keenan was a Mark IV user?? At least he uses it (or used it) with CoC. I use a 60 on my low B string on my 7 strings and it sounds fine through the mark IV. Even better when running the Mark IV and Recto in stereo together :twisted:

I'd say that depending on the guitar you're using, you'd need some heavy gauge strings. I do some drop tuning for some tunes (C# on E, the rest down a half). I've been using Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom Skinny Top's, and that's about as light as I'd go. I used to use 11's, but the Ernie Ball strings have been handling the drop tuning well. But since you're looking to go lower, you'll definitely have to go heavier, like a 12 set. Also, I hope you're not using a guitar with a floating trem, because that can create a whole other set of issues.

Funny enough, I believe the Mark IV sounds best at obscenely low tunings, always so tight, amazes me. Played some Come Clarity *In Flames* In drop A# and wow, still amazing!

He uses .50cal+ heads and Marshall cabs two of which are loaded when live. I saw them on Friday and they were forkin' amazing. Phil was better than I've ever seen him. His heads are waaaaaaaaaay modded though. They also live offstage It was all Marshall visible but he sounded like he usually does.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99050&src=3SOSWXXA

rabies said:
irrelevant ramblings: that behemoth band gives me a headache. what a waste of time...

WHAT!!!!! WHAT!!!!! Down is one of the most original bands out today. Granted, it may not be everyone's style, but you have to admit no one else sounds like them and they have a killer sound and great vibe. They're probably in my top 10 favorite bands. I love COC and I love Pantera (Superjoint gets on my nerves after too long) and hearing the different guys come together and make their own style and sound gives me a chub!!!

chris_EIT said:
Funny enough, I believe the Mark IV sounds best at obscenely low tunings, always so tight, amazes me. Played some Come Clarity *In Flames* In drop A# and wow, still amazing!

The mark iv sounds better just about any time when playing with overdrive. You can get any sound outta it, and it never loses it's tightness or attack!!!

Latest posts

Back