Mark IV Amp question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Can you recreate this distorted tone on the Mark IV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNOIIqbGHN8

This guys tone is almost spot on.
[/url]

Yeah dude, on the Mark IV anything is possible. You can get almost any Metallica tone spot on. It all depends on the way you pick, guitar's wood, pickups, etc if you want to get it to sound super tight as James' sound.

The amp itself is just a palette for sound. Most of James' sound is in the picking and playing style. I could probably get his sound out of any decent amp just by playing like him. Granted it wouldn't have the same amp flavor but it would still sound like him. The Mark IV is capable of getting most of the Metallica tones from MOP to current. I think the rest can be achieved from a Rec or a combination of the two. A key to his sound was using Marshalls as slaves and 1960 cabs. They liked V30's.

I almost kept my Vai Legacy to use as a slave to get that sound then I realized my wife would castrate me so I sold it. I don't think she'd understand why I needed a 100W EL34 power section just so I can sound like Hetfield.

Russ said:
I think the rest can be achieved from a Rec or a combination of the two. A key to his sound was using Marshalls as slaves and 1960 cabs. They liked V30's.

New to the products out there, what do you mean by these comments?

He ran his pre-amp signal from the slave out on his Mark IIC+ into Marshall JCM800 heads which he used for power amps. 1960 cabs are Marshall's standard 4x12s. V30s are Celestion Vintage 30 speakers.

Rec= an amp of the Dual or Triple Rectifier line

Marshalls= self explanatory

slaves= amps only ued for their power sections

1960 cabs= typical Marshall 4x12 cabinets

V30's= Celestion Vintage 30 speakers

No, that's not quite a correct explanation.

James' wife is a vintage model, an old rec, and one day the Marshall knocked on James' door and told him it was wrong of him to use her as a slave to his "power section".

So he put her in a 1960 cab, gave the driver $5k and told him to drop her when the money runs out.

I rarely post here but I have to say that was excellent crestwood1972! :lol:

Question: if you want to use and amp as a slave, do you need to use speaker cables for that or will normal cables do the job as well?

Why would you need speaker cables from a send to return?

When running a cable from the slave out to another amp, you must use shielded, not speaker cables. You also need to keep the load on the amp that the signal is coming from(master) to avoid damage to that amp, in other words, keep the speaker hooked up. Z

By all means, keep your speaker connected to your primary amp or use a load box. With a Mark IV you can use the silent recording feature if you don't want to hear your speaker connected to your primary.

Back