Mark IV A .. capable of LOG/Chevelle?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The differnces between the marks are futiler, especcialy on the lead channel.
The difference exists, but f a B gets you the tones you want, an A will too.
The A has more attack, more metallica/C+ style. But like I said, very futile.

The voicing on rhy 2 is pretty much the same.
If you didn't turned up the gain on a B at 10, an A will get you the same tone.

AART said:
The differnces between the marks are futiler, especcialy on the lead channel.
The difference exists, but f a B gets you the tones you want, an A will too.
The A has more attack, more metallica/C+ style. But like I said, very futile.

The voicing on rhy 2 is pretty much the same.
If you didn't turned up the gain on a B at 10, an A will get you the same tone.

interesting... now I'm even more confused :x

According to Boogiebabies, the cap changes between the A and B would result in the B being the brighter of the two. I'd say if you can play a B and like it a lot, then buy a B and don't worry about the A. According to most of the posts I've read here about the two, you can achieve the about 99% of the same tones using either one. I have an A because that is what I found. If it had been a B, I would own a B instead. I didn't care either way. There are so many other things that can drastically affect your tone, I wouldn't worry about these tiny differences.

Would eveyone agree that R2 is the most different channel between the A and B versions. I think that the A and B lead channels are much closer in gain amount. And as far as Judas priest and other 80's metal, I would be more likely to use the lead channel and turn down the lead drive knob for those tones, if needed. I like to use R2 for AC/DC- ish type gain. As far as brightness is concerned, the cabinet, speakers, pickups and guitar type will affect this greatly.

Well I got sniped on the only auction for a B head that looks promising because ebay is worthless.. so I'm heavily considering just going with the A because I don't want to put up with ebay anymore and no one seems to be selling one here or any of the other usual places.

Well, I would say:go for it!

If you don't like it in the end you can allways sell it and buy a B without real losses.

The last "B" short head that I bought on Ebay with "newer" tubes (the white lettering on the tubes was already turning brown) for $1175.00 had to be re-tubed because of a low pitched hum. Seemed like a bargain at first. But after I paid the $50.00 shipping and the $100.00 for a complete set of JJ pre-amp and power tubes, I was into this head for $1325.00. Sold it to a friend for $1350.00 and he is still raving about the amp three months later. Buyer beware on the 'bay.

Latest posts

Back