Mark IV 1x12 Combo, Tone Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary K

Reaction score
Hi,

I like most of the sounds I'm getting from a Mark IV 1x12 wide combo, *but* ...

It does not "chug" well (repeated palm muted first fret E chord, for example).

It seems to be flubby sounding, not crisp. This is using the 1x12 internal speaker (C90), plus a 3/4 open back Mesa 1x12 ext. cabinet also with a C90.

This is no matter how I set the knobs and switches, tweed or full power, Class A or Simul-Class, Triode or Pentode, etc.

Is this just how the Mark IV is?

Thanks,
-Gary K

Sorry I posted the question in the wrong forum, can the topic be moved to the right place?

-Gary K

What do you have the bass setting dialed in at? From my experience, anything over 3 sounds farty or flubby. Dial it in between 2 and 3, and adjust the rest of the bass with you EQ.

If you want "chuga chuga", you really need a closed back cab, I highly recommend a Mesa/Theile with the EVM12L.

***** Zeppman,

I will try lowering the bass.

***** RussB,

Thanks. What I don't quite understand, I also have a Nomad 55 4x10, open back combo, and it can do "chuga chuga".

This is the only thing about the Mark IV combo that is missing for me and my style (classic rock). I love all the other sounds I'm getting from it.

Thanks,
-Gary K

Latest posts

Back