Mark III vs Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Hi,

Please be advised I have tried using the search feature as I am sure someone has asked this or simlar questions in the past but I continually get this message
You tried to access the address http://forum.grailtone.com/search.php?mode=results, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the Web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

With that said, I would like to know what the differences are tone wise between these two amps.

I would really like to get a Mark IV. My friend has one and I really like it.

That said from sound clips I have heard on youtube (I understand the quality leaves a lot to be desired) the mark III seems to sound very similar.

I am specifically looking into the heads for either.

It seems I can usually find a Mark III on ebay or craigslist from the 800 - 1000$ price range, while the mark IV are normally closer to 1400-1500.

Now, my main amp will be my Roadking. So which ever I get will not be my only amp.

But I am just trying to get a feel for the differences you guys here. Basically, is it worth it to wait the extra time and buy the Mark IV.

Thanks

Don't sweat it, the search function doesn't work if the strings are less than 3 characters (eg. IV).

While they're similar, there are differences that you should consider. I've read something like this in the past, but I'm not sure who the author was. Whoever you are, more power to you.

Get the Mark III if you want:
Shared channel controls
Poor reverb
Less power amp options
More aggressive, open tone (compared to IV)

Get the Mark IV if you want:
(Almost) independent channel controls
Better reverb
More power amp options (tweed/full power, simul/class A, pentode/triode)
More liquidy, compressed tone

trem said:
Don't sweat it, the search function doesn't work if the strings are less than 3 characters (eg. IV).

While they're similar, there are differences that you should consider. I've read something like this in the past, but I'm not sure who the author was. Whoever you are, more power to you.

Shared channel controls
Poor reverb
Less power amp options

Better reverb

The Mark III Simul-Class has the tweed/full and simul/class A and can run all 6L6's or 6L6/EL34's. Thats plenty of options for the power amp.

It lacks a switchable pentode/triode setting, but the Mark III Greenstripes are wired in Pentode, and mostof the others are Triode. So if you really want one or the other you can have it.

You can also mod the reverb to make it sound better. Al you have to do is replace a cap/resistor.

As for independent controls... NO boogie amp has independent controls. The Mark IV is only slightly better than the Mark III, at the expense of adding even more knobs and switches to an already crowded faceplate....

You can also get a very nice sweet liquidy lead tone out of a Mark III easily. Thats pretty much what every boogie amp is good for, especially the older ones. You tone wise, the Mark III is much better and is somewhat simpler to use.

If you want a real nice lead tone thats liquidy then go buy a Studio Preamp or a Quad for more versatility and fully independant controls. Therses one for sale on the board.

Can't speak for the reverb as my III Simul Greenie is a head w/o verb. I agree with the III being more "aggressive/open" in its OD; the IV more compressed and "smoother." Understand, though, this diff does not make the IV "better sounding" IMHO. I love the tonal "rudeness" of my III as a contrast to the more modern "liquidy" voice of my DC5, for example. Ya gotta hear it in full song ...addictive (which is why my III is a keeper)!

For cleans, I haven't spent more than a cursory play on the IV, so perhaps not fair for me to speak on it ...which was "ok" but nothing that got me excited. My III (with a few tube changes) has gorgeous cleans, though. Huge, deep, and full of lovely chime on top. It makes me want to play clean more than I normally would ...just beautiful IMHO.

Edward

dmt said:
The Mark III Simul-Class has the tweed/full...
Nope.

dmt said:
You can also mod the reverb to make it sound better.
+1. This is a necessity. Even then it's not as good as the reverb on a IV.

dmt said:
As for independent controls... NO boogie amp has independent controls. The Mark IV is only slightly better than the Mark III, at the expense of adding even more knobs and switches to an already crowded faceplate....
The only shared controls are bass and mid for R1 and R2. The IV has independent pre-gain, independent presence, independent treble, R2/lead channel assignable GEQ, channel assignable fx loop, and better footswitching. I'd say that's more than only slightly better in terms of channel independence and controllability. My personal experience with a III, without the R2 volume mod, it's almost impossible to balance out the channel volumes.

That part about no Boogie amp that has independent controls, check out Roadking. Maybe you meant Mark series?

edward said:
I agree with the III being more "aggressive/open" in its OD; the IV more compressed and "smoother." Understand, though, this diff does not make the IV "better sounding" IMHO.
+1. Just a tonal comparison.

My personal choice would be a black stripe with 105 power tranny, then send to Mesa for IIIC+ mod. Whatever you do, try before you buy. Don't forget to download the manuals and user settings before trying.

trem said:

Shared channel controls
Poor reverb
Less power amp options

Better reverb

The Mark III Simul-Class has the tweed/full and simul/class A and can run all 6L6's or 6L6/EL34's. Thats plenty of options for the power amp.

It lacks a switchable pentode/triode setting, but the Mark III Greenstripes are wired in Pentode, and mostof the others are Triode. So if you really want one or the other you can have it.

You can also mod the reverb to make it sound better. Al you have to do is replace a cap/resistor.

You can also get a very nice sweet liquidy lead tone out of a Mark III easily. Thats pretty much what every boogie amp is good for, especially the older ones. You tone wise, the Mark III is much better and is somewhat simpler to use.

If you want a real nice lead tone thats liquidy then go buy a Studio Preamp or a Quad for more versatility and fully independant controls. Therses one for sale on the board.

+1 on try before you buy, or get a return policy. All amps sound different, same model notwithstanding.

I've run a Mark III Simul blah blah blah for 20 years and only have a problem balancing R2 (no separate Master) at very low volume. Some call it "bedroom" volume. I call it "wedding gig" volume. Bedrooms are for other things, not playing geetar god in front of the mirror. :wink:

I bought a Mark IV-B but was not blown away. For that much more money, I didn't feel the sound or versatility was that much greater.

You'd better write down your settings, 'cause there are 18 knobs to memorize. On the front panel.

Of course, I am 20 years more accustomed to my III, so that colors my opinions a lot.

To my ears, and playing both the III and the IV side by side, I'd have to say the R1 (clean) channel is much cleaner on the IV. Even with the channel gain dimed, it doesn't break up much, if at all.

The Mark IV R2 sounds more like the Mark III R1 dimed, and less like the Mark III R2. The Mark III on R2 is more "Marshall-y". You can get there on the IV, but you must do more fiddling, especially with the Presence control.

Speaking of the three Presence controls, I liked these the least. It's just that my sound happened with the knobs pulled, and it's real easy to inadvertently push them in and not notice. Too many f**kin' knobs, IMHO.

The Mark IV lead sound is very close to the III, but as others have pointed out, is more compressed. To my ears this means more "electronic" sounding, like a pedal. A $1400 pedal. I guess the IV high gain is more "modern" and educated sounding, and the III is more "vintage" and raw.

Many discount the Mark III reverb, but I heard another player using my amp at a loud jam with the 'verb dimed and his Paul sounded about 8 feet wide. Yumm! But it's not the Fender splashy super wet up front surf reverb. I didn't notice a huge improvement in the Mark IV reverb.
Maybe, if I'd had the IV first, I might prefer it over the III.
They're both great amps. Boogies are like pizza and BJs. Any Boogie is better than no Boogie.

The MkIII w/GEQ is probably the best $900 amp out there; for $1400 the MkIV has some competition.

Basically the reason the MkIV was invented was real channel switching, plus more compression for shredders (it was 1989, man.)

If you spend 50 per cent or more of your time playing with one sound (i.e. you're playing metal), just save yourself five c's and get the III. Just make sure to get the GEQ.

Here's my opinion.:

I own both a III Blue and a IVA.

- the III beats the IV in tone in all 3 channels (especially for cleans and thick distortion)

- the IV beats the III in versatility.

- I use my IV when playing live because of its versitility (I use the IV's effects loop to switch back and forth between another preamp and the IV's preamp). But I'll usually use the III for non-gig situations.

- You probably won't be disappointed with either amp - both are great. If you get a III be sure to perform the ch2 volume mod. I also keep the III's Presense control very low or it will sound buzzy. I find the amp sounds great with Presense around 2 and the Treble up around 8 or so. I also think that the III is one of the best amp bargains out there - alot of amp for the money .

trem said:
dmt said:
Nope.

You are quite wrong on this. My amp is a Simul-Satellite, which is basically a striped down Mark III Greenstripe. It has Simul/Class A, Tweed/Full, and is wired in pentode. I am pretty confident that the tweed/full option comes with all Simul-Class amps.

dmt said:
trem said:
dmt said:
Nope.

You are quite wrong on this. My amp is a Simul-Satellite, which is basically a striped down Mark III Greenstripe. It has Simul/Class A, Tweed/Full, and is wired in pentode. I am pretty confident that the tweed/full option comes with all Simul-Class amps.

Uh, nope. The SimulSatellite is, IIRC, actually the IVA power section. My MkIII Green just has Simul/Class A. No MkIII has Tweed.

Greens were wired pentode on the outer sockets from the factory; if you take your black/purple/red/blue III in to MB for anything now he'll pentode it unless you specifically ask him not to, ditto for the reverb mod.

Hmmm... teh internets seem to validate your statements... I guess I'm wrong. Meh. Tweed is not so useful anyway...

thanks for the replies guys,

I am currently speaking to a guy about a Mark III blue stripe.

Unfortunately I have to unload my Les Paul (Mahogany Studio if you are interested) before I will have enough cash, but hopefully I can get this done in the next few weeks.

Boogie Woogie Man said:
primal said:
I am currently speaking to a guy about a Mark III blue stripe..
Mk III Blue Stripe is the best amp I have ever owned, you won't regret it.

+1

If you have a Blue Stripe - Send it to Monsta-Tone and ask for the Cam Mods. You won't regret it. Best amp I've owned.

Could someone tell me what all the different stripes are and what the differences are between them?

Again, thanks for all the replies

Latest posts

Back