Mark III vs IV (and WINS.)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Since the previous thread turned into "Why the Mark IV is better than the Mark III" let's hear from all the Mark III lovers now.

Tell us why the III makes up tonally for what it lacks in versatility 8)

no probalo!

the mark III has an awesome tone to it, but theres almost no compression in it anywhere. the mark IV is more compressed (not as much as say, the rectos, but still pretty compressed) so things like gain, presence, volume controls, and pick attack are a lot more forgiving. with the mark III you really need to play the amp to get the sound you want. I use R1 as both my clean and crunch tones, R2 (once I get the R2 mod for volume control) will be my main rhythm tone, and LD will be well, lead. a lot of times with my settings anyways, the difference between not enough gain, and plenty of gain is how hard I pick. and this applies even to the lead channel. as far as the IV goes, I actually prefer the lead of the III to the IV. the III is much less compressed, and less buzzy. if you have a fizzy mark III, turn down the presence and it can go away. the IV is much more likely to be fizzy/buzzy. also the lead of the III is less compressed, so it comes across punchier, bolder, and much more raw. when I play with my band, its basically straight raw hard rock. so I like the raw boldness of the III

Schmoog said it all, it the most heaviest amp but you can also with the presence knob turn it into sweetest tone as a matter of fact it can do all the tone you want if you put patience in it, it not really a plug play amp.
Petrucci, Metallica, blues, Sykes and recently I got a tone similar to Stéphan Forté's Sanctus Ingnis area.
A awesome and versatile amp.

All that +

If you have a

bats111.gif

In your house , crank the presence .
It will leave .
Or explode .

Buddy said:
All that +

If you have a

bats111.gif

In your house , crank the presence .
It will leave .
Or explode .

I think if you have the coliseum, it will definetly explode instantaneously if you crank volume and presence.

No flying rodent's were harmed in the the preceding posts .
The boogie board administration does not condone such experimentation .
5 out of 5 hearing aid supplier's suggest you do .
Those responsible for the preceding disclaimer's have been sacked .

as the mk IV does have a very nice compressed lead...the mk III has a headroom and bottom end that makes it one of the worlds best heavy Rhy Amp's..I have still been unbale to find a smooth lead sound par with my mk IV.. but the cleans kill my IV and tight scooped rhy so good..so in fact..

Iv lead and Rhy2
III everything else..

Back