Mark III Variables?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nogalian

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Mark III amps were available in Simul-class or NON simul-class variations? I am looking at a BLUE stripe with only 2 power tubes and NO simul-class switch??? I have seen the web site, http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkIII86.html, but I don't see any info about options. This one was a combo converted to a head in wood.
Thanks!!

All Simul-Class amps have four power tubes.
No amp with two power tubes can be Simul-Class.
Simul-Class (or 60/100 watt switch, but never both), graphic EQ, reverb, EVM 12L speakers, hardwood cabs, international voltage selector, and "long" vs. "short" chassis heads were all extra cost options.
They could generally be mixed and matched as the customer pleased.

I get the 60 watts with two tubes, and 100 watts 4 tubes (6L6) with or without a Half Power Switch being NON Simul-class. I thought once the Simul-Class technology had been implemented in the Boogie design of the Mark amps, it (Simul-Class Tecnology) was used on all of them. So, if I understand, the Simul-Class version was an option when ordering a Mark amp? Any idea what era or historical stripe version began using Simul-Class? For example I would not expect to see a Mark III Black dot with Simul-Class power ratings vs a Purple Stripe could be seen with S-C, or a 4 6L6 configuration w/a half power switch or a straight 60 watt model depending on the way it was ordered?

I believe the Simul-class option was first introduced in the Mark IIB back in the early 80´s. And it was an option throughout the 80´s on all Mark series amps until the Mark IV was introduced. Simul-class is a standard feature on the Mark IV (and V).

So basically, the 60w version was the standard basic version. Then you had the option of the 100/60w or the Simul-class 75w and the 180w collisseum monster on top of that. The graphic eq and reverb were also options back then, as was combo/head and head sizes, hardwood versions and type of speakers in the combo.

All simul-class Mark series were wired in triode until the green stripe Mark III and the Mark IV was introduced. On the green stripe it´s wired in pentode (85w) and on the Mark IV (and V) you have the triode/pentode switch.

So it all depends on which configuration it was originally ordered in.

I wasn't aware that a 60W version was available, only as a power option in the 60/100W non Simul-Class variant. Never knew of, much less seen a 2 tube power staged Mark series. When I ordered my MkIII in '89, the options weren't explained to me including a 60W power stage, but I was only interested in Simul-Class, so I would have glossed over that part of the discussion. Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. 8)

If you ordered a green stripe, it was Simul-Class because the 60 watt option was no longer available on the green stripe.

As far as I know, the Simul-Class option appeared at the times of the Mark II-B and became standard with the Mark III green stripe.

Yep. I have a Mark II B that is Simulclass. Mark III's were available in 60W, 100/60W, Simulclass, and Colisseum.

Check this out, http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/IIC/IICLit.html, From the '83' Boogie price list Simul-Class was a $175 option as early as a Mark IIB. So as I understand, Simul-Class "Option" was available thru the Late Mark III or Mark IV, then it was a standard feature not an option, right? Was this because it is such a bitchen, and it is, power option there was no longer any reason to build standard 60 or 100 watt Mark amps anymore, even as an option (Standard power configuration that is)??!!

Latest posts

Back