mark iii tubes, settings, ramblings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treehorn

Reaction score
I've had this mark iii for an embarrassingly long time, and I feel like I'm just learning to use it thanks to this forum, and other resources on the web (e.g. pdf of the manual... that helped).

It's a simul-class, with 4 6L6. The manual says this config will lead to premature tube failure, but I've never had one fail. Anyone else using this setup?

I've read the various complaints about the mark iii compromise between the different channels: in particular, that it's hard to balance the two rhythm channels. I had this problem for years (though the music I was playing didn't have need of a clean channel, so it didn't matter), but after a big clue from the manual to use "volume" to balance the channels, it works perfectly. The "sweet spot" for me is much lower, though, around 4 (rather than the recommended 7). The crunch on r2 seems to depend mostly on the signal strength from the guitar. I suspect my pickups need to be lowered a bit, which perhaps will affect the sweet spot for "volume".

I'm really enjoying this amp. Thanks for all the info!

Latest posts

Back