Mark III to be or Not to be>>>>

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cgonzer

Reaction score
Hello group,
Yep relatively new to the board..was a lurker for a long time..I have a Mark III Red Stripe long head great 80's tone, smooth etc..It has been my all go to amp since my 80's metal playing days..but recently have joined a new band and they are playing the modern metal..Godsmack, Disturbed, Bullet type sound but all original etc..the sound they get is more growly bottom/mid range.. I'm curious if the Dual Recto solo 3 channel can get this growl without the mud?? I have contemplated parting with my Mark III to finance the sound change..
most of the tunes are in 'D' tuning or E flat Drop D

Guess what I'm asking is not from a collector point of view, but from music tone etc..would the Recto be a better fit..

Thanks for listening.....Cgonzer

A lot of people think the Duals are muddy. the marks are definately tighter IMO. I've played Rectifiers for yrs but don't know too much about Mark's outside of the fact i want a Mark IV. The Duals have a low end you can feel though too, which may contribute to the more "modern" sound.

Are you not happy with your sound?

Yeah i agree with Ed.. it's all in the EQ!

this is my old blue stripe simlu EQ

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=695807&songID=5877313

doesn't sound to bad?

Also pull out the "Deep" knob. Add a boost in front if it get's muddy from the deep knob being pulled. This will smooth things out.

I play more modern Metal in drop E flat and get a pretty good sound.

Thanks for feedback.. lol... seriously Thanks..yea I'm happy with my sound and I'm not going too fast at changing up from my Mark III..
just the full fat crunch the new era sound is new to me..many of the younger players are using the Recto's..Stilleto or Triax..
Here is a site with my sound with the Boogie ..now this is from my old 80's days..and I have a bit more crunch now with pickups and tunings.. I'm more just a plug in and play..little effects..delay etc..

http://www.vibrationsofdoom.com/test/Purgatory.html

Many thanks I will try the EQ route...

Cgonzer

You can do it with the Mark... using the right (Recto) cab along with the EQ suggestions offered earlier will def get you there. Listen to Chevelle for a Mark IV reference in heavy tones. Using a Recto cab with half EV's will even sound better than a dual recto with a recto cab.

Okay...I gotta say...Thank You...Thank You...I will NOT part with my Mesa Mark III no way..I got home from work..went to the dungeon and took the advise from everyone and oooooooh Man the sounds I got using the EQ was soooo intense..Can't believe I was thinking of parting with this...
Guess after playing in one band and style for soo long I got in the niche~ of my sound..I never used the EQ before..many years ago I did just to add some mids and highs to my solo's...but that was it.. I mostly used an Digital ADA 400 delay unit and colored my sounds..
Thanks for waking me up from a looong sleep...
We are surely never to old to learn...Thanks Again to everyone..

Gonzer

guitarsawicki said:
It's amazing how versatile this amp is.

So true. I think the worst habit of mine is I get too comfortable with the settings of my Mark III and don't try changing it up at all. Whenever I get bored and try something new, I'm shocked what sounds the amp can produce, but most of the time I use the same settings I've always used and I think the worst of the amp. Definitely user error.

Latest posts

Back