Mark III Stripes...Feedback

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakkinc

Reaction score
I have a Mark III Blue Stripe Head and I've been thinkin of going with a Red or Green stripe. I'm after a Metallica type tone, so I have a C+ which is perfect, which of the two stripes (Green or Red) would you guys say is closer to the C+ lead tone?

I've heard some say Red and others say Green, any first hand experiences?

By the way, my Blue stripe is simul class, and I would be looking at another Simul Class even a combo would be fine but simul class, so lets discuss simul class....

I have both red and green stripe simul class combos, both great, red stripe imho is closest to 11c+ lead sound. lead sound on the green stripe is more brutal.
Cleans on the red stripe are more organic and fatter.
I use phillips NOS 7581,s in the power stage , and Ruby/tad 12ax7,s in the pre,s, this is about the closest you can get to how they sounded when new.
I have owned the Red stripe from new, sept ,87 and still use it more than any other of my amps amp, ie the green stripe and a roadster head / mesa 2x12.
Hope this is of some use

i've had them all except the purple stripe.
as far as the lead channel goes, they're all basicly the same.
the older black/no stripe ones tend to be a bit brighter, but they're all fairly bright.
keep your blue stripe.
any mark III is going to sound good.
i refuse to believe anyone in the world could tell the which stripe is which in a blind tone test. i wasn't a believer of that at first, but after years of owning many of them, please believe me when i tell you the stripe hype is really over nothing.

if the guy that made that "Stripe history" page would have said " the purple stripe is the most like a c+" people would automaticly believe him and that one would sell for considerably more on the net.

I don't know about the red or the blue but even my drummer (who has a really good ear, admittedly) can tell the green and the purple apart.

It's absolutely no question on any setting, except midway up through the lead channel where they sound pretty much the same w/o the EQ engaged.

R1 and R2 are very different and the response to the GEQ is TOTALLY different. Seriously.

If you're after the Metallica tone, and want to try a simulclass,run a cable between the SEND of the C+ to the RETURN of the Mark III. Make sure that both amps have a speaker load connected. Use all the knobs (except Master 1 ) on th C+ for the preamp, and ONLY the master volume and presence on the MkIII.

Latest posts

Back