Mark III Simul-Class Tone Drop In Rhythm 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToadMeister

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just acquired my first Boogie and I love it. I have a question. Is it normal for the Rhythm 2 (Crunch) channel to drop in volume in comparison to Rhythm 1? I am running volume 1 at about 7.5-8 and when I am in rhythm 1 it is quite lively and breaks up nicely if my volume is up on my Strat. But when I stomp on the pedal to engage Rhythm 2 there is a noticable volume drop. It is crunchy but a major drop in volume exists.

I might add . . . The person who owned this prior to me played it very little and it has the original tubes in it. Other than the above described issue it sounds great. I do plan to do a complete retube soon. (Tube Suggestions?)

So what are your opinions on the tone drop?

Thank you in advance,

ToadMeister The Toad of Joy

The VOLUME give a overall gain to R1, 2 and the lead channel.
The MASTER control the overall volume of the amp.
It the LEAD MASTER you should work with here to obtain the right balance for your need.

Yup , mine does the same thing ...
It seems to be less at higher master vol settings tho .
play with the knobs :)

edit : and if you feel like it you can send me those old tubes :idea: :twisted: :wink:

Yep...common Mark III issue. That's where the R2 mod comes into play. Some of us swapped out the line out pot for another volume control and use it to "balance" the R1/R2 levels. I don't use it as much as I did when I first got it, because I wish just R2 had a little less mids. So generally I use a pedal to add some break up and crunch to R1 when needed. It's a simple mod.

The Green Stripe has it, but it is the least noticable of the stripe versions.
The Green has more R2 volume, but it also has a swell while switching from R1 or Lead. It's a rise time to full output. It might have something to do with allowing a louder R2 without a volume surge or pop.

Back