Mark III replacement tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val666

Reaction score
This question obviously get's thrown around a lot but I'm a noob and suck at message forums so here goes.

I just got a Mark III simul-class "green stripe" combo. I was told it was made in either 91 or 92

At some point I'd like to get new tubes for it but I'd want them to match the originals.

Can anyone tell me what tubes I'd need for this amp and where I could get them from???

Also, I've heard stuff about "mods". I'm new to the Boogie scene and would like to know more about this too

Regarding tubes, you can't go wrong with Mesa branded tubes. 6L6s in your inside sockets, EL34s in your outside sockets. They're a safe choice, they're the tubes the amps were designed around in many cases, and if your amp is still under warranty (yours, of course, is not), they're the only tubes you can use that won't void it.

If you feel adventurous, you can go through any of the many online tube retailers - dougstubes.com, valvequeen.com, eurotubes.com, just to name a few. Be sure to let them know you're retubing a Mark III, because Mark series Boogies have a fixed bias that is fairly cold on the inside pair of tubes, and they typically keep aside some warmer tubes that will work well with your amp. The outside sockets of a Simul-Class amp are more forgiving; I've used many different brands of EL34, 6L6, and KT77 in there with interesting results and no ill effects.

As far as mods go, the first rule of modding is: unless you can describe something specific about your amp's tone or performance that you are unhappy with, don't do it! Having said that, a lot of people complain about the volume drop when switching from R1 to R2 on a Mark III, and there are several mods available to address that.

benjamin801 said:
Regarding tubes, you can't go wrong with Mesa branded tubes. 6L6s in your inside sockets, EL34s in your outside sockets. They're a safe choice, they're the tubes the amps were designed around in many cases, and if your amp is still under warranty (yours, of course, is not), they're the only tubes you can use that won't void it.

If you feel adventurous, you can go through any of the many online tube retailers - dougstubes.com, valvequeen.com, eurotubes.com, just to name a few. Be sure to let them know you're retubing a Mark III, because Mark series Boogies have a fixed bias that is fairly cold on the inside pair of tubes, and they typically keep aside some warmer tubes that will work well with your amp. The outside sockets of a Simul-Class amp are more forgiving; I've used many different brands of EL34, 6L6, and KT77 in there with interesting results and no ill effects.

As far as mods go, the first rule of modding is: unless you can describe something specific about your amp's tone or performance that you are unhappy with, don't do it! Having said that, a lot of people complain about the volume drop when switching from R1 to R2 on a Mark III, and there are several mods available to address that.

You're one of the most helpful people here and you rock!!! Thank's again for your advice bro

Any tips on tubes/mods that'd make my Mark III even heavier and aggressive sounding???

A green stripe Mark III is already one of the most aggressive-sounding amps ever made.

Try these sample settings for starters (on the lead channel):

Volume 9, pushed in
Treble 9, pulled out
Bass 1, pushed in
Middle 4
Master (set to taste; I practice at about 2.5)
Lead Drive 5
Lead Master 5
Presence 5

Set your graphic EQ to a nice "V" - 1st and 5th sliders about three quarters of the way up, 2nd and 4th sliders about two-thirds of the way up. Take the middle slider all the way down, bring it up slowly (while playing) until things start to sound a little too "boxy," then send it back down just a hair. That's a great starting point for a killer metal rhythm.

If you find you need it even more aggressive than that, try backing the Treble off to about 7.5 and bringing the Lead Drive and Presence up very gradually.

If you need it even more aggressive than THAT, try kicking the front end of the amp with a fairly clean boost - I have a BOSS SD-1 that was $30 and works perfectly well in that regard.

If you need it even MORE aggressive than THAT, buy a 5150. :D

benjamin801 said:
A green stripe Mark III is already one of the most aggressive-sounding amps ever made.

Try these sample settings for starters (on the lead channel):

Volume 9, pushed in
Treble 9, pulled out
Bass 1, pushed in
Middle 4
Master (set to taste; I practice at about 2.5)
Lead Drive 5
Lead Master 5
Presence 5

Set your graphic EQ to a nice "V" - 1st and 5th sliders about three quarters of the way up, 2nd and 4th sliders about two-thirds of the way up. Take the middle slider all the way down, bring it up slowly (while playing) until things start to sound a little too "boxy," then send it back down just a hair. That's a great starting point for a killer metal rhythm.

If you find you need it even more aggressive than that, try backing the Treble off to about 7.5 and bringing the Lead Drive and Presence up very gradually.

If you need it even more aggressive than THAT, try kicking the front end of the amp with a fairly clean boost - I have a BOSS SD-1 that was $30 and works perfectly well in that regard.

Wow man these settings just blew me away!!! I think I'll stick with the settings you suggested for a while until I learn how to do things myself \m/\m/

This is my first Mesa Boogie amp, so I'm a total noob! I REALLY appreciate this amazing advice, you rule!!!

Val666 said:
Wow man these settings just blew me away!!! I think I'll stick with the settings you suggested for a while until I learn how to do things myself \m/\m/

This is my first Mesa Boogie amp, so I'm a total noob! I REALLY appreciate this amazing advice, you rule!!!

My pleasure. Welcome to the club!

How can people stand the presence higher than 3? it just adds an insane amount of top end sizzle that doesn't sound all that great to me. I prefer the presence very low (1- 2) and make up for it with the graphic eq treble slider.

benjamin801 said:

Or a ENGL, Framus or a Randall or something. Mesa Mark's sound much better than any Peavey.

rgx612a said:
How can people stand the presence higher than 3? it just adds an insane amount of top end sizzle that doesn't sound all that great to me. I prefer the presence very low (1- 2) and make up for it with the graphic eq treble slider.

I used to run mine really high, now I have mine at like 3-4 and make up the treble with sheer volume! :twisted: (I dont have an EQ sliders lol)

rgx612a said:

I currently run mine at 4 (the settings I suggested to the OP above are not my current settings, but what I remember from my metal days), but I've run it anywhere from 3 to 7 depending on tubes, speakers, pickups, and where my preamp tone controls happen to be set.

I run my presence around 2-3 max. Anything more, then the hi-end sizzle starts to annoy me.

The presence was set to 5 when the amp arrived but it still sounded fine to my ears. I've now connected it to a 4x12 cabinet, dialled in some of Flemming Rasmussen's Metallica tones and I'm having a blast.

I have no use for the combo speaker. So I'm gonna turn the amp into a rack mount. If any of you guys want the original cabinet/speaker you can take it for nothing

Back