Mark III replacement tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, got another question.... Im now going to replace the preamp tubes. I replaced all the power tubes with Ruby's, should I use ruby's for the preamps also? Does it really matter? I can get the JJ's for a little cheaper. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks,
Sean

That is more subjective.

Your preamp tubes run (from the closest to the input jack) v1 thru v 4 with v5 being closest to the power tubes. I have been using the following;

• V1 – Mesa SPAX7
  • V2 – Tung-Sol 12AX7
  • V3 – Tung-Sol 12AX7
  • V4 – Tung-Sol ECC803-S Gold
  • V5 – RFT ECC83/12AX7

But that is just me. You will find many other players here using different tubes based upon thier experience. And all the selections are good. It really is quite a travel in getting what your head is telling your ear it wants to hear when you play. :lol:

Dennis

Just changed my preamp tubes around not too long ago again out of boredom but still with great results. If I can remember it was something like:

V1 - Tung-Sol
V2 - EH
V3 - EH Goldpin
V4 - EH
V5 - Sovtek LPS

The great thing is that they're all relatively cheap 12AX7's that give me exactly what I want for the preamp.

Power tubes - I just threw in my old STR 420's (6L6) and Tesla (EL34's). Hot ****!.. is all I can say.

Back