Mark III red stripe VS Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Mark III red stripe and I play in a Metal band and was thinking of buying a Mark IV. Only for the fact that it has a nice foot pedal and can do a lot more. The only thing is that The Mark III is the best sounding amp Ive ever played through for my taste.

I was wondering if anyone here has owned both amps and could tell me if I can get the same sound out of the Mark IV as I can from the Mark III. Also, can you get a great clean sound to go to from the lead chanel once it dialed in to sound like the Mark III.

I was thinking I might just buy another Mark III to switch between and take them both to gigs, but they are so **** heavy as a combo. I hate luggin around so much gear. I think I need a couple of short heads and like 4 thieles..lol.

ScottBoogieman37 said:
Also, can you get a great clean sound to go to from the lead chanel once it dialed in to sound like the Mark III.

It sounds like a Quad preamp with 395/295 power amp or a Mark IV would be up your ally. I can't help you with the comparison of the III to the IV but the clean and lead channels are completely seperate so the settings for one channel have zero effect on the other.

The best answer is to buy both if you can afford it and then decide that way for what your needs are.

Greg

Well, i have both a red stripe, fully loaded mark III and a new Mark IV head.

They do sound a bit different from each other, but equally good in my opinion.

The Mark IV has a thicker midrange and is slightly more "growly" sounding. It´s also voiced a bit darker. The lead channel is very liquid and the added thickness is great for lead sounds. It´s less in your face and smoother than the Mark III. Clean is great, but slightly more "stiff" and "sterile" compared to the III. But since the clean mode is separarete from the Lead mode, it´s a lot easier to get the best clean sound as the best lead sound.

The Mark III is more raw, voiced brighter and slightly more scooped in the mids and with a more aggressive presence. It´s also capable of a bigger low end, because of the bass shift and pull deep that the Mark IV doesn´t have. It´s great for rhythms and leads, but I prefer the Mark IV for lead sounds as I find it slightly thicker and smoother sounding. The clean is great, but it´s hard to get the best results at the same time as a killer lead sound.

Anyway, I love both. I mainly use my Mark III for my heavy rhythms and the Mark IV for cleans and leads and slightly tighter rhythms.

Bullen said:
Well, i have both a red stripe, fully loaded mark III and a new Mark IV head.

They do sound a bit different from each other, but equally good in my opinion.

The Mark IV has a thicker midrange and is slightly more "growly" sounding. It´s also voiced a bit darker. The lead channel is very liquid and the added thickness is great for lead sounds. It´s less in your face and smoother than the Mark III. Clean is great, but slightly more "stiff" and "sterile" compared to the III. But since the clean mode is separarete from the Lead mode, it´s a lot easier to get the best clean sound as the best lead sound.

The Mark III is more raw, voiced brighter and slightly more scooped in the mids and with a more aggressive presence. It´s also capable of a bigger low end, because of the bass shift and pull deep that the Mark IV doesn´t have. It´s great for rhythms and leads, but I prefer the Mark IV for lead sounds as I find it slightly thicker and smoother sounding. The clean is great, but it´s hard to get the best results at the same time as a killer lead sound.

Anyway, I love both. I mainly use my Mark III for my heavy rhythms and the Mark IV for cleans and leads and slightly tighter rhythms.

What he said... :D

+2 !!

Very accurate decription Bullen. I totally agree with your assessment on all accounts.

P.S. I thought I was the only one that thought the IV's clean is rather bland, and prefer the III's clean to the IV's. Then again, I also like my IIC's clean better than both of them, and I've heard great things about the IIB's clean, so it may even be better than the IIC's :p

Back