Mark III , (+,Red, Blue,)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey, Just bought a Mark III combo and I am very happy with it. I have been researching the stripes on this board and could use a little help. Mine has two stripes on the back(one red and a blue one below it), and a plus sign on top of both stripes. Can anyone help me decode this? Also can use guys point me to some links of general info on what the stipes mean and the amp in general. Any particular threads or sites that you fing useful . Thank you.

Hi, welcome!

Try this in Google: site:forum.grailtone.com mark iii stripes

And you will find everything you want to know :-D

Congrats for your Amp man !! her some info about the stripe, maybe the date is wrong because there a lot of information and transformation during all these years. that's why i said +/- :lol:

#1 - No mark or a little dot. Only a few hundred then some balck marks or "+"'s .
- Lean and powerful amp with more output power than a IIC+ (1985 +/-)

#2 - Purple: reshaping of R2
- R2 was shaped to be more "rounded" and less gain, with improved level (1986 +/-)

#3 - Red: R2 is like current Mark III
- R2 further developed and very hot. Lead mode is also tweaked to close in on the IIC+ sound (1987 +/-)

#4 - Blue: Reshaping of R1
- More aggressive preamp gain - reshaping of R1, Power section made akin to IIC+ (1988 +/-)

#5 - Green/Simul-Class: Final R1 and Lead Channel reshaping
- Cleaner R1, Lead channel reshaping, and unlike other Simul amps, these Mark III's were wired in Pentode - NOT triode in the Class A sockets for more power. Power section is same as Blue otherwise. (1989 +/-)

Of you're not trying to determine what traits a certain stripe has (the post above should be all you need), and you're trying to determine what your amp actually is, we need the serial number and some shots inside the chassis to see the layout of the capacitors to determine the actual revision.

Latest posts

Back