Mark III recap

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
Just got in some F&T caps for my Mark III. Its been sounding liefless and noisey lately even after tube changes. Hope this will do the trick. Anyone else recap their IIIs yet?

Assuming the tubes are okay,you will notice a marked improvement.I've done hundreds of recaps on MkI's,II's,III's and IV's never had an owner not impressed.

Got the caps in. took 20-30 min. Really improved the tone and playability. got rid of the falt mud. reduced noise to all but guitar hum. so the amp is now quiet. Also brought out the mids of the amp. Neck pups sound glassy now. $55 at tube depot for the caps. glad I did it. It got frsh tubes last month. I also swapped out a JJ in V1 for a mullard. Tons of gain now. Awesome 8)

I am thinking about recap'ing my mk iv, and I am fairly good with an solderiron.

Could someone give me a quick instruction? As I wanna learn how to do it, and maybe a link to the caps i need?
:D

This is how I replaced the 7 big filter caps in my Mark III

1. drain the caps completely. These caps can carry from 250 -500 volts. yep, bye bye Make sure amp is unplugged
http://tubenewbie.com/discharge_capacitors.html

2. I was able to work from the top of the board. Didnt have to take the board out on the III. I cut out the old caps making note of the
polarity (very important)

3. Desolder and remove the leads from the cut capacitors.

4. Put in new caps. carefully cut leads to length.

5. Solder

On the mark III i picked up the caps from tube depot.com

F&T caps 4x 220uf 300vdc & 3x 30uf 500vdc

Hi guys

It would be very helpfull if you could tell me wich caps i need for a mark II-c simul upgraded to +, (power filter caps and bias caps) ?

regards

cremona said:
Hi guys

It would be very helpfull if you could tell me wich caps i need for a mark II-c simul upgraded to +, (power filter caps and bias caps) ?

regards

Yeah, and if you're at it anyway, the it would too be very help if you could show me which I need for my '93 mk. IVb.

:D

Since Stokes appears to be a tech, have you ever replaced the electrolytic caps with some other technology? Something that doesn't have the limited life of lytics? I'm not one for making big changes (or any changes for that fact) to my MkIII, but if I do, I'd like it to be a one time deal.

Thanks in advance!

kdorsey said:
Since Stokes appears to be a tech, have you ever replaced the electrolytic caps with some other technology? Something that doesn't have the limited life of lytics? I'm not one for making big changes (or any changes for that fact) to my MkIII, but if I do, I'd like it to be a one time deal.

Thanks in advance!
A guy named RG Keane (not sure if I spelled his last name right) did some experimenting with some kind of polyester film caps.If you got to the Ampage board and do a search,you can find his posts on the subject.I believe he even wrote a column for Premier Guitar on the matter.I've never had enough interest to try it myself.

Latest posts

Back