Mark III questions & help, if you please :)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long-time DC5 owner here. I was just wondering about the Mark IIIs. Lots here seem to like them and from what I've read so far, they "approach" the Mk IV tone without paying the price, but are more tonally versatile than the Mk II. So a few questions for ya all:

1. Is a Mark III worth getting without the graphic EQ (my DC5 has it and I think it's indispensable, but don't know about with the III).

2. What kind of tone can I expect from a III? Especially in comparison to my DC5 (did I mention I love my DC? :) ).

3. So will the III offer me something I *can't* get in my DC?
I'm NOT looking to replace my DC as it is a fabulous widebody combo. I'm actually thinking of a MKIII as a head to go with my Thiele cab.

4. Finally, which color stripe does what?

Thanks, all. This Mark-ignoramous appreciates all feedback and advice! :D

Edward

Edward,

The only question I'm qualified to answer is that I feel the Mark III needs to have the EQ. I have a blue-stripe combo, and wouldn't consider using it without the EQ. Huge difference.

definetly get the EQ. As far as tonality, I don't know much about the DC, but I believe the mark III has a touch more gain to it. if you want to hear some sound clips with varying levels of gain, check out my soundclick.

www.soundclick.com/shrek

Well, i think i'm one the most qualified person to give a good answer to your question, because I owned these two amps ( i sold my old dc-5 head for my mark III blue stripes), and i own now a mark III.

The main reason i sold my dc-5 was because it has a muddy lead channel, impossible to play with a stratocaster.... if you try playing a strat in all its pickup position through dc-5 lead channel, you won't find no differences, cause it is too muddy and very midrangey but without that great definition that mark III retains.

Clean channel on dc-5 was good, but my mark III blue stripes is much better, more fenderish. And of course, 50w against my 85w simulclass, this results in much more headroom and great tonal varieties due to that simulclass 6l6 and el34 mix.

So... if you want my 2 cents.... Get a mark III, you'll never be disappointed, and you'll never miss your dc-5.
Mark series is where all great mesa tones started....so if you love mesa tone, it's really difficult to not appreciate or to not find your favorite mesa tone in one of mark series amp.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yeah, my suspicion was that the graphic was an essential. I'll make that a point. Don't need the 85 watts, but the simulclass option might be nice ...though I recall a thread here between simul v. non-simul, and there are definitely some strong opinions. :)

Hey Reeko,
Thanks for your input. I don't know why your DC was muddy on Lead channel. My strat sings on the OD channel, even the neck pup eq'd for "woman" tone ...just very musical! I made some tube changes to sweeten it up even further (reduced gain stages in a couple of places), but even before that I never complained of muddiness. Oh well...
:)

Edward

Don't think you can't get by without the EQ. I just use a $35 EQ in the loop and it is silent and colorless.

I agree that the EQ is not a requirement for everyone (I have has several MKIII's and never used them for anything other than a level boost), but you answered your own question in your post by saying it is indespensible. A decent EQ pedal or rack unit in the loop is a great alternative if you find a good deal on a III without the EQ option. Or you could spend the $$ and have it added by Boogie or and authorized service center I imagine. I think you will find that the MKIII has a great deal of clarity to the lead tone - I don't know if I have ever heard anyone call the lead tone of a MKIII "muddy". The various stripes indicate revisions and subtle changes to the amp's circuits. I personally favor the Green stripe with the blue being a close second for what I like to do, but I own neither these days and can't compare the MKIII directly to a MK IV. There are MKIV deals to be had for not much more than the going rate for a III, so if you want a MK that gets the IV sound get a IV. In tandem with the DC-5, I imagine you could cover a lot of tonal ground. Z

You guys are great, thanks!

I think I am going to nix the idea of a Mk w/o a graphic ...I use graphic in the DC in the lead mode and can only guess that I would in the III as well, but don't want to go through the trouble of hooking up/tearing down yet another piece of gear (as in an eq in the fx loop) as I already got enough crap to haul :)

And I know the IV has got it going, but it's still a signif chunk of change difference, so I think the III simul has got my number.

So since I am a Mark ignoramous here, is there any "Striped" versions I should steer clear of? I know there are personal preferences ...and if any can lay out those differences, that'd be great!!! But if these are simply tonal "differences" of all-good-sounding IIIs I'll just find myself a good simul head. But if there is a "stay away from that color" MkIII, PLEASE help this Mk-newbie. Thanks, guys ...appreciate it!!!

Edward

they are all good in their own right. electronically, the blue stripe is the closest to the IIC+ circuit. Many will say "but the red sounds just like my IIC+" but the power section of the blue is identical to that of the IIC+. the red stripe is the most aggressive sounding of the bunch. the green stripe is somewhere between the III and the IV. its a little smoother sounding than the blue, and not quite as raw. think of it as a IV without all the knobs and switches. purple stripe/no stripers sound like well, a III. the later revisions were attempts at getting the IIC+ sound.

I would second the blue stripe, the own I had was a beast, and if it wasn't for my MKIV and DR I would have kept it. The eq was a must for me, that way I could set up the perfect clean tone and the perfect lead tone, plus have the rhythm 2 channel for a pushed clean tone.

As I've stated in other threads before, I am not fond of putting an eq pedal, especially the Boss GE-7, in the effects loop. Those things are total tone squashers....they'll take away the depth & fullness of your tone. Although my experience with EQ pedals has been with the GE-7, I haven't tried any other pedals, alot of folks seem to like the MXR 10 band EQ

I think you made a wise choice in getting one with the factory 5-band EQ, it's superior to any stompbox EQ you might put in the effects loop...In my opinion it is the EQ that really shapes the tone on the MK III.

Schmoog said:
they are all good in their own right. electronically, the blue stripe is the closest to the IIC+ circuit. Many will say "but the red sounds just like my IIC+" but the power section of the blue is identical to that of the IIC+. the red stripe is the most aggressive sounding of the bunch. the green stripe is somewhere between the III and the IV. its a little smoother sounding than the blue, and not quite as raw. think of it as a IV without all the knobs and switches. purple stripe/no stripers sound like well, a III. the later revisions were attempts at getting the IIC+ sound.

OK, so since I am a MkIII ignoramous, and the IIC+ seems to be the holy grail among the Marks, should I seek out a blue stripe (especially if it's practically in my hands, so to speak)? I also have the option of a purple? Between the two?? And these are heads, BTW, if that matters at all. Thanks a bunch!!!

Edward

I use a Danelectro Fish-N-Chips. I used one when I had my F50 and I use on with my III. I don't detect any tone sucking. I am planning on modding my amp to include a graphic EQ though.

edward said:
OK, so since I am a MkIII ignoramous, and the IIC+ seems to be the holy grail among the Marks, should I seek out a blue stripe (especially if it's practically in my hands, so to speak)? I also have the option of a purple? Between the two?? And these are heads, BTW, if that matters at all. Thanks a bunch!!!

Edward

Taken from: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

#1 - No mark or a little dot. Only a few hundred then some balck marks or "+"'s .
- Lean and powerful amp with more output power than a IIC+

#2 - Purple: reshaping of R2
- R2 was shaped to be more "rounded" and less gain, with improved level

#3 - Red: R2 is like current Mark III
- R2 further developed and very hot. Lead mode is also tweaked to close in on the IIC+ sound

#4 - Blue: Reshaping of R1
- More aggressive preamp gain - reshaping of R1, Power section made akin to IIC+

#5 - Green/Simul-Class: Final R1 and Lead Channel reshaping
- Cleaner R1, Lead channel reshaping, and unlike other Simul amps, these Mark III's were wired in Pentode - NOT triode in the Class A sockets for more power. Power section is same as Blue otherwise.

Generally, the blue and red are the most preferred on this forum, however I hear that the green is very nice and the most Mark IV sounding.

Bammo! That's the info I was waiting for. Thanks a bunch!!!

Since I have a choice between blue and purple, it sounds like Blue stripe is the way to go. Thanks, brother!!
...now off to wait eagerly for my MkIII joy (hopefully that head should sound killer in my EV-Thiele! ...which makes my DC5 sound killer!)
:)

Edward

Latest posts

Back