Mark III question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.Bisconne

Reaction score
Hello!
I have an oppurtunity to buy Mark III. In the manual it says that it is simul-class amp that can go from 100 to 60W. But the one I am checking doesn't support this feature. It doesn't have the switch nor 4 tubes, only 2 6L6. Is this a fake or some early model or what.
Please, help before I buy it.
Thanx.

2 tubes = 60 Watts
4 tubes is EITHER 100 Watts or Simul class.

Simul class is 75 watt at simul and 15 at class A, except for green stripe models, which is 85/25 (if I remember correctly)
You can choose if you want to use either EL34 or 6L6 at the outer sockets ONLY.

The 60 watt is a great amp, and absolutely NO fake.

good luck

Tony

So it is normal that it is without the switch and only 2 tubes. I don't know much about these models and stripes... :(
But thanx!

Not all Mark IIIs came with four output tubes.
Simul-Class -OR- 60/100 watts (four tubes) was an add-on option ($150 per). Same with Reverb ($150), Graphic EQ ($150), EVM 12L speaker ($150).

The two tube 60 watt with the Celestion-made C90 speaker is the basic version.
No fancy leather seats, but it'll still get'cha where ya wanna go.

And, to reiterate, Simul-Class is NOT the same as the 60/100 watt option, as detailed so well by tony777 above. Many, if not all, Mark III long heads (eight knobs on the front panel) have a front panel switch that says "Full/Half Power". I assure you that 99.999% of the time, this is a 75/15 watt Simul-Class switch.

As far as the stripes go, they merely represent minor (not major) improvements of the same circuit over a period of 18 years. There's a bigger difference between any Mark III and the Mark I, II, or IV, than there is between any Mark III "stripe".
The cork-sniffers will chime in now...

hahahaha no, I only come out when people say there's NO difference between the stripes. :lol:

CoG said:
hahahaha no, I only come out when people say there's NO difference between the stripes. :lol:
I will not make a "come out" of the closet joke. :D
I won't, I won't, I won't!!...
Oh, ****, I did...

So what is the Wattage on a Red Stripe with the Simul Class/Class A switch on the back?

MrMarkIII said:
Up (Simul-Class) is 75 watts. Down (Class A) is 15 watts.

Unless it is a Green Stripe, the last of the MkIII. That is 85w/25w by virtue of pentode vs triode for its predecessors.
Great amps, all! ...pssst, get one with a GEQ, really! :)

Edward

I just grabbed a Red Stripe with simul class, GEQ and the R2 mod!
can't wait for it to get here!!!!!

Latest posts

Back