Mark III; Pentode/Triode switch mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicProvocateur

Reaction score
Other than adonixx, who just got his new green stripe; does anyone else have this mod and can share what it sounds like/functionality? I would imagine the triode mode gives it a more bouncy and compressed feel, and the pentode sounding more open and full, right? But how subtle would it be on my 60 watt blue? More or less? Hmmm...

I saw the amp on ebay and have been curious about the mod ever since. I'm very very interested in it.

SonicProvocateur said:
Other than adonixx, who just got his new green stripe; does anyone else have this mod and can share what it sounds like/functionality? I would imagine the triode mode gives it a more bouncy and compressed feel, and the pentode sounding more open and full, right? But how subtle would it be on my 60 watt blue? More or less? Hmmm...

I saw the amp on ebay and have been curious about the mod ever since. I'm very very interested in it.

I've only done it with the outer sockets of a simulclass amp. With the amp in Class-A mode, I liked triode for the clean channel, pentode for Rhythm 2, and the Lead channel was an even split. The difference in the switching was less apparent with the amp running in simulclass mode because only two of the four tubes are affected. You need a DPDT switch capable of handling 500 volts DC and a little bit of wire.

I had it done to my 60w red stripe Mark III. The difference is as you describe: smoother and more compressed on Triode and harder/cleaner on Pentode. I usually keep it on Triode for mucking around at home and flick it to Pentode if I'm cranking. It's a very worthwhile mod.

Latest posts

Back