Mark III noisy lead channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgx612a

Reaction score
I had my amp serviced not too long ago, a few months ago... and just recently i've noticed the lead channel is pretty hissy/noisy, and i don't think it was that noisy before, even with high gain settings?? What do you think could be wrong? The clean and R2 is fine.

rgx612a said:
I had my amp serviced not too long ago, a few months ago... and just recently i've noticed the lead channel is pretty hissy/noisy, and i don't think it was that noisy before, even with high gain settings?? What do you think could be wrong? The clean and R2 is fine.

Have you checked/swapped the lead preamp tube, I think it's V2

Not yet. I thought the lead channel was V3? What other tubes should i look at V1?

Yes, V3 is for the Lead.
In V1 it should be original Mesa SPAX, but you can try others. Here it's often recommended Tungsol, but I've been told from different sides they're more "mellow"-sounding. Depends on your taste. Take a look at TADs.

I found the Tungsol in V1 to be very bright and powerful. Stepped down to a NOS RCA gray plate from the 1950s to cut that harshness.

If the other channels are quiet, it could be V3, but maybe it's just your settings or other influence? Are you kicking in the EQ with a drastic curve on ch3? Huge gain? Direct into the amp from guitar or are there pedals?

I'm gonna try some new pre-amp tubes tomorrow, when i get to the jam space... i'll let you know how it goes.

BTW i'm direct into the amp, sometimes i use a wah pedal, but that is it for pedals and stuff. I have some fairly high gain settings, around 8 on Vol and lead drive is between 7 and 8, but i still think it's a bit noisier than it used to be. It used to be wisper quiet.

I'm just gonna try some mullard 12ax7 reissues i have lying around, but are there any other tubes you guys can recommend? I really like as much clarity and cut as possible. Nice and sharp top end, but not harsh.

long and big black plates will always do the job, actual production of 12ax7 are so awfull tonely speaking !

some likes softek and erzats of tesla made by JJ, if you play metal stuffs, any new production should do the job!

8)

Back