Mark III - (new tubes ) Wow!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptical

Reaction score
Just recently re-loaded one of my Mark III heads (purple stripe) with some new preamp and power tubes. Winged =C='s all over the power section ( 6L6/EL34) and a Tung-Sol (V1 ) with some EH in the rest..(gold pin ) in V3/V5, though. Wow!!....is this thing fuggin' rippin!! :shock:
It's like a whole new toy to play with again. Totally tight, clear and articulate with tons of singin' sustain. Punchy as all! R1 is big as hell; excellent for jazzy material (live on this channel for Wes Montgomery style playing). R2 is big, bold and crunchy; totally super chunk. You want blues..check..you want metal..check...straight up rock..check.

Lead is just hands down outta control.
2.gif

You can play lead on the neck pup or bridge pup, leave the room..come back an hour later and the notes will still be in the room. LOL This channel just smokes...great for anything from Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes style leads, Di Meola or Santana smooth latin leads ( neck pups), right to anything new school metal leads. This just totally reminded me (once again) how awesome these amps are. Braggin' rights huh? LoL :twisted:

Maybe gettin' a lil' rosey off the Mark III.. but it's ok, it's sick ****. :wink:

before selling my IV, I took the =C= out and threw em in the III I have, as well as a mixture of NOS preamp tubes that were in it. It did the same thing you said essentially, for both amps. To me tubes, speakers and pickups are the best ways to experiment with tone if you've found your guitar/amp setup you like.

Neptical said:
Just recently re-loaded one of my Mark III heads (purple stripe) with some new preamp and power tubes. Winged =C='s all over the power section ( 6L6/EL34) and a Tung-Sol (V1 ) with some EH in the rest..(gold pin ) in V3/V5, though. Wow!!....is this thing fuggin' rippin!! :shock:
It's like a whole new toy to play with again. Totally tight, clear and articulate with tons of singin' sustain. Punchy as all! R1 is big as hell; excellent for jazzy material (live on this channel for Wes Montgomery style playing). R2 is big, bold and crunchy; totally super chunk. You want blues..check..you want metal..check...straight up rock..check.

Lead is just hands down outta control.
2.gif

You can play lead on the neck pup or bridge pup, leave the room..come back an hour later and the notes will still be in the room. LOL This channel just smokes...great for anything from Gov't Mule/Warren Haynes style leads, Di Meola or Santana smooth latin leads ( neck pups), right to anything new school metal leads. This just totally reminded me (once again) how awesome these amps are. Braggin' rights huh? LoL :twisted:

+1

I added an RFT to V3 to add a bit of evil to ch3. :twisted: It's amazing how such a mundane-seeming change makes such a huge difference. Congrats!

Fronzil said:
To me tubes, speakers and pickups are the best ways to experiment with tone if you've found your guitar/amp setup you like.

I agree.That's right on the money.
2.gif

kdorsey said:
I added an RFT to V3 to add a bit of evil to ch3. :twisted: It's amazing how such a mundane-seeming change makes such a huge difference. Congrats!

Those tubes are pretty sweet! These amps are so sensative to tubes that changing a single position can drastically change the tonal character of the amp. I was actually gonna order up more NOS tubes until some months back I was experimenting with all new tubes and found exactly what I was after for ALOT cheaper.

Latest posts

Back