Mark III needs new tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My Mark III is either starting to sound a little funny, or I just haven't noticed it until now. All of the notes just kind of blend together. For example, if I play a low E and try to solo over it, you will barely even be able to hear the higher notes. I've tried different guitars, so it rules that out. Is this a common symptom of bad tubes? It goes for the clean channel also, it sounds way too warm and punchy, like it doesn't even have any treble. Like I said, I either haven't noticed this before, which seems unlikely, or something wrong is going on. Will new tubes fix this, or am I better off getting another amp?

Loss of hi-end is a common symptom of worn power tubes. The hi-end and punch is the first thing to go.

Pick up a pair or quad of power tubes and I think you'll be back in business.

Well, I'm not too sure that it has lost its highs, more like the high details. It can still get quiet piercing to the ear, but the bass is so flubby that it overwhelms the details in the high register.

If it's not the power tubes, it could be time for a cap job. Flubbiness is one of the symptoms of the filter caps.

Since this tone change came on suddenly, I'd open the map up and take a look at the caps. This is especially ture due to the age of your amp. One caps may have burst or the electrolyte is starting to dry up on them.

Latest posts

Back