Mark III Mods & Problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bricar125

Reaction score
I just bought a used Mark III blue stripe combo. It just arrived via Fed Ex today. It looks to be in very good cosmetic condition. I plugged everything in and turned on the power. After I turned the power on, there was a slight crackle and there was a slight delay before the power light came on. Then a little bit of white smoke was coming out near the power switch. The smoke stopped. The amp seems to be working fine. What would have caused this?

Also, who can I send this to for maintenance and mods (preferably in the midwest or east coast)?

Thanks,
Brian

I believe on Mesa's site there is a list of authorized service centers.

How does it sound?? If it sounds good, might not be too big of a problem.

I bought a Blue Stripe Mk III a year or so ago and it didn't sound like my original Blue Stripe did back in the 80's. I'm going to send mine into Mesa for a 100k mile checkup soon and possibly some caps if necessary. The bass is flabby and the treble is harsh (through any cab/speaker combination).

The bass is a bit flabby on mine as well. There are a couple of authorized Mesa service centers in my area (according to the Mesa website). I'll take it in for a tune-up.

Thanks.

bricar125 said:
The bass is a bit flabby on mine as well. There are a couple of authorized Mesa service centers in my area (according to the Mesa website). I'll take it in for a tune-up.

Thanks.
Filter caps.

My 1988 Blue Stripe is sounding lifeless lately too! Is it possible that I may be able to do my own cap job with the right parts?

From what I've heard about the cap thing, you can kill yourself as the electricty is still pumping through them even with the amp unplugged. If you're not schooled in electrical work, take it in. I usually end up making things worse when I try it myself. As they say, "Call the guy".

Oh yeah, forgot.....

You can definitely do the cap job yourself if you can solder, follow directions and are willing to take the proper safety precautions.
I can honestly tell you that the charge your capacitors hold really hurts like a mother!

Here is a good read for the safety issues:
http://www.aikenamps.com/SafetyTips.html

Latest posts

Back