Mark III + Mark IV = ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
I have a MArk III. I also sold some gear recently and have $$ burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinkin about a Mark IV. Are they different enough to make it worth it for me? Not interested in have 2 very simular amps.

Koprofag said:
Are you in need of an additional amp, and what do you expect from it? They'd be similar in tone/feel, which could work if you need a backup amp or add stereo capability to your current setup. But if you simply want something new you'd probably be better off trading the III for a IV as they more or less overlap tonewise. Or get another brand to accompany that III. Something British and power-tubey would be a nice addition, i.e. Orange, Matamp, old Marshall. Not to mention Mesa's Stiletto and Electra-Dyne.

The obvious would be to add a Recto to the collection, if that's your cup of tea. Recto + Mark IV has been the ultimate Mesa package for over 15 years as they both offer something the other one doesn't.
Am I in need of another amp? uh no. Do I really want another one? :lol: I was figuring theyd overlap a bit. A recto would be cool. Ive been recto-less for a couple years now and it would be cool to get into another one. Looking at a 5150 and a Herbert.

Although the Herbie will probably get me divorced :lol:

i would say definatley somthing that is different form the III like a stilleto or even a recto but id say the 5150 and herbert prolly cover the same groundas the mk3: face melting acid fire! ....plus 5150s sound like cats

Well mark III + mark IV should give you a mark VII. I have never owned a III but I would like to try out a red stripe one of these days. I really like the way my dc10 goes with my IV sometimes I prefer the DC10's lead channel to the IV. But if I personally had the money to buy another amp and needed one which I don't I feel a recto would complement my IV.

The mark iv is the ultimately modded mark iii. It has all the features you wish the mark iii had for live performance and allows you to dial in all three channels just the way you want.

Koprofag said:
Are you in need of an additional amp, and what do you expect from it? They'd be similar in tone/feel, which could work if you need a backup amp or add stereo capability to your current setup. But if you simply want something new you'd probably be better off trading the III for a IV as they more or less overlap tonewise. Or get another brand to accompany that III. Something British and power-tubey would be a nice addition, i.e. Orange, Matamp, old Marshall. Not to mention Mesa's Stiletto and Electra-Dyne.

The obvious would be to add a Recto to the collection, if that's your cup of tea. Recto + Mark IV has been the ultimate Mesa package for over 15 years as they both offer something the other one doesn't.

I endorse this message (see sig). There really isn't anything that either of the amps can't handle. I think it is great when an amplifier company is able to put out ONE great product, but TWO great products, and have them be drastically different...wow...

Restless Rocks said:
The mark iv is the ultimately modded mark iii. It has all the features you wish the mark iii had for live performance and allows you to dial in all three channels just the way you want.

You're thinking of a V ;)

The IV does not really allow for all three channels "just the way you want". I agree that it is obviously an extension of what the III can do, but the shared R1/R2 controls keep you from getting everything perfect for every scenario.

Well, I ended up going with a 5150. Got a great deal on it. Ive gotta say, the Mark III and the 5150 are a perfect match. Ive been running them together the past 2 days and now Im at the point where I dont like either amp by itself :lol: They are 180 degrees apart from each other and they both do what the other one doesnt.

The Mark has a middy, fizzy tone with a deep bottom.
The 5150 is all low mid with a very narrow freq range compared to the mark. Its as if the 5150 fits right inside the marks tone.

Awesome!

Latest posts

Back