Mark III Help with sockets (Pics)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phendaphil

Reaction score
Firstly hi to everyone as a newbie on this forum.

I'm a long time Mark IV user but i've had this Mark III that i've used for recording and at home, it's a 60w therefore has no simul-class switch. as you should be able to see in the pic my amp has two unlabeled jack sockets where this would normally go, any idea what these are for? The three other footswitch jacks are in the normal places.

The Serial no is ST0204 and near the power cord the initials RBT are written – no stripe at all, any info on this amp greatfully recieved. I'm in the UK but i think this amp has come from elsewhere in europe because of the mains plug it has. I can't make any sense of the serial no. from the websites out there

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

VERY nice amp! 8)

Sorry I can't help you. I have never seen those jacks before. If you remove the chassis and take some more pics of the wiring to the jacks, maybe we (I) could be more helpful?

Love the blond and wicker... :D

I'd love to, some day, get one of those fully loaded 60 watters.

I would give Boogie a call. They keep pretty meticulous records, so if the work was done by them they would know what they are. You could also take it to a Boogie tech in your area and he could tell you what those jacks are connected to.

They might be tube bias points, but that is obviously just a guess.

Chris... 8)

Cheers Guys

I emailed boogie and they tell me the sockets arn't stock on it, also the serial no is wrong and should be under the speaker sockets - i can't see one. Should it be on a foil? - bit strange that!

Russ i'll try and get a pic up over the weekend of inside the amp, if you can have a quick look at it that would be great. I don't know of any boogie techs round this area Chris - but good idea, i think the amp came from elsewhere in europe as it dosn't have a UK mains socket although it is 220V

Could be a modded amp or a prototype. The power cord is different as well. The serial number should be below the speaker jacks. Maybe Boogie prototyped this one and used the sticker as a way of marking it. If it is, there is no way they are going to keep detailed records on prototypes.
It is a very cool amps with some strange features, but still has a Boogie style of work and design. The signature below the power cord is interesting. All of mine are either RCS and MB( IIC+'s) or GM on power transformer of the MK IV with an MB on the bottom of the chassis. Pull that baby out an take detailed pics of the inner circuits and we may be able to tell where all of these mods are going. Heck, it may have a pentode triode mod to one of the footswitch jacks in the back. Who knows.

Duplicate input and channel switching jacks (like the front) to use with a big rack - involved switching system perhaps? Z

The serial number is usually stamped into the chassis beneath the speaker output jacks. It is usually painted over so it can be hard to see. Take a careful look it may be there. Also take a look at the underside of the chassis and look for a date or initials written in marking pen.

Once i was in the amp it was just a case of tracing the wires, zoner was on the right lines, its just duplicate footswitch sockets, parallel with the front footswitch socket and rhythm 2 socket. (maybe it was used with a bradshaw switcher)

Still a few strange things, , i can't find any serial no near the speaker sockets, and on the chassis something like !roth october 2 90! is written, the extra sockets look pretty much stock.

I've taken lots more photo's (below) if anybody notices anything else out of the ordinary with it i'd be interested to know. The main thing is it's a great sounding amp.

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

Great pics! Thanks for posting them.

All in all, the amp looks pretty much stock (well, except for the extra jacks and disconnected direct level pot)

RBT did the final amp inspection in 12-90...wonder who that is specifically?

EDITED for blatant stupidity!

I'm guessing a one off as well... How could the final inspection by RBT be in 12/90, and !ROTH! mod be 2/90 ?!? That !ROTH! signature would have been 10 months prior to the final inspection.... More investigating should be done to this blonde beauty. May be something special!
ax. :twisted:
BTW.. Funny that MB didn't do the final inspection. Maybe someone else in the factory did a "personal favor" for "someone special"... :idea:

axwielding1 said:
I'm guessing a one off as well... How could the final inspection by RBT be in 12/90, and !ROTH! mod be 2/90 ?!? That !ROTH! signature would have been 10 months prior to the final inspection...

DOH! well the !ROTH! marking was done October 2, '90, not much before the amp got its "final inspection" (~2 months prior)

The "Uli Jon Roth" speculation is very interesting

Mesa would happily tell you that some amps sat for 6 months until payment was received. Some IIC+'s are weird that way, but I dont think Mesa ever gave away gear to any stars and they still dont. They buy at net on account.

It would be great to track it to Uli.

Hmm - i'll have to do some research. It's quite interesting just from wondering what those sockets are!

1/4" Jack plug sockets if you're this side of the pond! - you put the plug in the socket!

Seriously, thanks Russ i'll remember this to avoid any confusion, you guys have been most helpful. :)

I can't think of any other way to trace this amp apart from posting on Uli forums - any other ideas greatfully recieved. If i hear anything you guys will be the first to know.

Latest posts

Back