Mark III head shell options

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parsonsmatt

Reaction score
Hi Boogie Board!

I'm a bit of a newbie to the Mesa world, just got my Mark III combo back in March. I've always wanted a Mark of some sort, and finally got a good deal on a III. I love it and I'm not looking back :D

The combo is a ***** to carry, though, and I'd prefer to have a separate headshell. I joined the boards back in April to PM a member gts about building a custom headshell, but he seems to have disappeared and I no longer have his contact information. What are my other options for getting a headshell? I understand Mesa will build one, but their price seems a bit high from what I have read...

Thanks! My apologies if this is a dumb/oft repeated question, but the search feature on these BBS systems never cooperates...

EDIT: Some kind members have provided me with gts's contact information. Thank you! This thread is done

I too would like to have a head cab but I have to wait until I'm in a position to buy.

I'm sure GTS gets more requests than he can I handle. I came across a website and have yet to contact the guy but it may be useful to someone else.

http://www.thecabguy.com/cabs.php

I recently went through the same transformation but did it on the cheap. I have a MKIII simul blues-stripe combo I picked up for $600 in the fall of '08. The cabinet was fairly beat up on the bottom half from being kicked, loaded, whatever. Total garbage on the bottom half with ripped tolex and wood showing.
I was too cheap to spend $300 on a head shell so I took out my circular saw this weekend and went to work.
I basically cut down 9" from the top and pieced together the new bottom from the old and re-used the corners. re-used the grill cloth but want to replace that with something a little more rugged looking. It aint pretty but it still sounds the same and carries a whole lot easier. When I have an extra $300 and care enough, I'll probably get a nice shiny new head shell but for now it works as before; sounds incredible with my STR 416s in the outer sockets.
My back is a whole lot less stressed and the EV is going into a new wide-body 1x12 I'm building.

Power tools and music can be great therapy!!!

Macelind said:
I too would like to have a head cab but I have to wait until I'm in a position to buy.

I'm sure GTS gets more requests than he can I handle. I came across a website and have yet to contact the guy but it may be useful to someone else.

http://www.thecabguy.com/cabs.php

I've emailed him and Mesa, and have yet to receive a response. Wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

herrball said:
I recently went through the same transformation but did it on the cheap. I have a MKIII simul blues-stripe combo I picked up for $600 in the fall of '08. The cabinet was fairly beat up on the bottom half from being kicked, loaded, whatever. Total garbage on the bottom half with ripped tolex and wood showing.
I was too cheap to spend $300 on a head shell so I took out my circular saw this weekend and went to work.
I basically cut down 9" from the top and pieced together the new bottom from the old and re-used the corners. re-used the grill cloth but want to replace that with something a little more rugged looking. It aint pretty but it still sounds the same and carries a whole lot easier. When I have an extra $300 and care enough, I'll probably get a nice shiny new head shell but for now it works as before; sounds incredible with my STR 416s in the outer sockets.
My back is a whole lot less stressed and the EV is going into a new wide-body 1x12 I'm building.

Power tools and music can be great therapy!!!

Nice! I'm a klutz with power tools, and I don't have anywhere to do that sort of work anyway... but that must be cool to have done it yourself :)

Back