Mark III...good or bad

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Facelift

Reaction score
Just doing as much research as I can before i dive head first intoa purchase for one of these amps. By what I have gathered, the mark II is the less desirable compared to the IIC+ or the IV. Well, Im not wanting to go into that issue completely other than what makes it so different from a IIC+? Most importantly I want to know, from your experiences of owning a III, which is the most desirable colored stripe to have? My playing style is based heavily around Slayer with some metallica/Pantera type rythm riffage and am trying to find the best one to suit my style. Im still undecided on which model im going after. The IIC+ seems to be a favorite here. From the clips Ive heard, I see why. Im jsut curious now about the III becasue I see them going for pretty decent prices and I figure until the right IIC+ comes around or some reviews of the V show up, I might jsut pick up a III in the meantime to mess around with.

I'm a happy camper since I got my Mark III Red stripe. I use it in the two bands I play with and get loads of compliments for my tone. For me the Mark III is the ultimate amp that gives me both a super clean sound as well as roaring lead sound. I use both Les Pauls and Strats as well as other guitars with the Mark III and I have found out how I should tweak the amp to get the sound I want. I'm sure there are IIC+ owners that says that their amp are superior to all other boogies but for me my Mark III is the amp I'll never part with. Try one and listen, if your satisfied buy it. If you don't like the sound it gives you try the IIC+.
DrBazooka

I play a lot of pretty heavy stuff with my Red Stripe , so slayer should be no problem.
I A/Bed my III against my buddys MarkIV (A) a while back and I thought my III
sounded lot meaner and more open sounding.
I throw a clean boost in front of mine and use my 7's thru it and it just kills.
I've never had the chance to play a IIC+ but for the price difference it wouldn't really be worth
it to me. My III works just fine.
here's a Slayer clip on you tube with a III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_iT-YZS6ic
and a Metallica clip (same guy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw35-B0_LWk&feature=related

here's one of sheps clips (helped me make my decision to get one)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=695807&songID=5877313

I had a Rectoverb head when I got my III and I sold the Recto within a week of getting my Mark.

Facelift said:
My playing style is based heavily around Slayer with some metallica/Pantera type rythm riffage and am trying to find the best one to suit my style.

If that is the case, then the MkIII is right up your alley. The stripe color is most noticeable on the Rhythm 2 channel , more of an evolution than anything. 8)

some of the stripes are alot different on the lead channel too. as i've mentioned in another thread my blue stripe was built without a certain cap in the second gain stage which controls where the treble sits. the IIC+ whic is known for being smooth has a 1000pf cap and most III's have a 500pf. the blue stripe doesn't have this at all and when i added the 1000pf it was much more vocal and rounder while still being aggressive and open.

all in all i say GOOD. you can't beat the mojo of a mark III.

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

so with the info I gathered in that link, it really got me nowhere as it seems there is a desirable trait in all of them, except the purple stripe. Anyone else own multiple IIIs and havea good comparison between them? Still trying to decide on the III, the IIC+, or the V...decisions, decisions.

From what I understand, people make the differences between stripes out to be much bigger than they actually are. The same basic tones should be available in all the revisions. For what it's worth, I have a blue stripe, and it kills!

For the kind of money you'd have to lay out to get a IIC+ or a V, you could buy three Mark IIIs. Just something to keep in mind. I did spend a little time on the V and it seemed pretty cool, but I'd have to spend a lot longer to really compare it to my III. It certainly wins on the versatility front, but it depends on what you're after.

Whoopysnorp said:
From what I understand, people make the differences between stripes out to be much bigger than they actually are. The same basic tones should be available in all the revisions. For what it's worth, I have a blue stripe, and it kills!

For the kind of money you'd have to lay out to get a IIC+ or a V, you could buy three Mark IIIs. Just something to keep in mind.

Exactly my point. If heavy metal tone is what you are after, it would be a waste of money to buy a MkIV, V, and definately a loaded C+. I have owned a purple, blue and green stripe MkIII and have played an early black dot and red stripe. They will all get the "Metal" sound in the lead channel, with slightly different settings. Same goes for both versions of the MkIV, which I have owned in the past. Use the extra money to load up a Boogie 4x12 with EVM-12L's :shock: .

Whoopysnorp said:

For the kind of money you'd have to lay out to get a IIC+ or a V, you could buy three Mark IIIs. Just something to keep in mind. I did spend a little time on the V and it seemed pretty cool, but I'd have to spend a lot longer to really compare it to my III. It certainly wins on the versatility front, but it depends on what you're after.

So does the V get the killer metal tones of the earlier models. I know it has different voicings of the IIC+ and the IV but if it doesnt nail the rawness of the original ones, theres really no need to get the V. Maybe Im wrong in this. Would be nice to have an all around versatile amp that does everything from warm cleans to sweet overdrive to rip your face off metal. I jsut am having a hard time deciding on which one to get as I dont havea place nearby that carries any of these models. I might be able to try out the V when its released but the others, I cant. So I guess thats why I have to keep asking the ones that own em.

Facelift said:
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

so with the info I gathered in that link, it really got me nowhere as it seems there is a desirable trait in all of them, except the purple stripe. Anyone else own multiple IIIs and havea good comparison between them? Still trying to decide on the III, the IIC+, or the V...decisions, decisions.

I have a mark III Purple stripe simul-class head with EQ. It seems to get the least attention of any of the mark III stripes but it is an absolute tonal monster regardless. R2 is a little dark but it's killer if you find a use for it, which I have. Oh and running an OD pedal in front will only make the amp sound more amazing.

I plan on acquiring another boogie to run in stereo with it one day, perhaps a Lonestar combo for cleans and Larry Carlton/jazz stuff then the Mark III for uber gain/lead tones 8)

Back