Mark III BS Which EL34's to use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase new EL 34's from Mesa for my Mark III. They have 2 options Sovtek and Siemens. Which set should I buy? What are the differences?

SED's.

Check out www.dougstubes.com , you will have a better selection at great prices. If your in the Chicago area, Triode Electronics is awesome to deal with. I have NOS Svetlana;s I have been running since 2002 that have yet to drift a single ma. This guy knows how to test, match and burn in a tube. Out of two quads of 6L6's and on quad of EL34's, they were all perfectly matched to the ma and still are after a minumum of 6 months of use. www.triodeelectronics.com . Both Doug and Ned are awesome to deal with, but Ned is a freak about matching at higher voltages and full burn in's. I run an SED/ Old Svetlana #32 6L6 and a # 34 EL34 from Triode and they all draw 35ma, which warm up a Boogie nicely.

Siemens don't really like plate voltages over 460, so they may wear out faster or be more prone to blow. I personally have run Siemens at 483V in the C+, but never for extended periods of time. I'm skeert !!! They sound amazing though.

How do you account for the fixed bias in the Mark III when using non Mesa tubes? Does it matter?

When you order your tubes simply tell them that it is for a Mesa fixed bias amp. I've done this in the past, and assume Doug will accomodate this request as well.

Most of the time, once the vendor hears Mesa, they think they can get rid if cooler tubes. I ordered my Svetlana's with this specific ratings and instead of gettin 20ma, I got 35ma and run a bit closer and warmer towards max plate dissipation. My GT6L6 GE's, STR-415's and Phillips 7581A's all naturally draw around 2oma and still sound awesome.

Ok this may sound stupid but why wouldn't you just buy the tubes from Mesa? I would think they would be better matched for Mesa Amps. After checking out the sites you've listed I found the prices comparable. Both sites do offer more selection which is one reason to purchase and based on you past experience I'm sure the folks that work there are very helpful. But am I missing something. Why isn't there more support for Mesa tubes?

The 2 Rubys in your amp are from Doug's. He told me he went to buy a bunch of them from his distributor and there was a conspicuous "gap" in the ratings for the tubes he was being offered - guess where all the "missing" tubes were going? The Rubys are the same tube that Mesa sells as the STR-440 (or 420? heck, I guess I don't know which exactly) which Mike B. at Mesa says is the closest to the STR-415 these days and there is not a huge price difference, but you may prefer the service you get from the smaller sellers. I don't know how "robotube" or whatever system Mesa uses to test and grade their tubes compares, but I like the notion of a smaller operation where someone is geeking out a bit about proper matching and burn in over a larger, mass production operation. These guys will be able to get you the same tubes as the ones that say "Mesa" on them, just with different labels. Z

A compelling and well written argument Mr. Zoner. I'm calling Doug's right now.

Thanks for all the help.

Another good word for Doug's tubes. he recommended Ruby's for my power tubes and they sound great!

carlosasi said:
Ok this may sound stupid but why wouldn't you just buy the tubes from Mesa? I would think they would be better matched for Mesa Amps. After checking out the sites you've listed I found the prices comparable. Both sites do offer more selection which is one reason to purchase and based on you past experience I'm sure the folks that work there are very helpful. But am I missing something. Why isn't there more support for Mesa tubes?

First off, I have a wholsale account that allows me to buy almost any tube for about 30-40% less than what you guys are paying retial, exept GT's. Secondly, to compare a duet of Mesa STR-440's for $ 42.00, I buy them for $ 22.00 with the same warranty and matching. Since most members do not have a wholesale account or quantity discount, you have to rely on vendors you trust. As far as support for Mesa tubes, they are the same tube you can buy from Doug for less money. I deal with Ned and Groove Tubes for certain tubes and thier ability to test a tube. Also, GT has USA made tubes that they make which are proprietary, Hence, I deal with Doug for the GT products. He has them and gives you as good a deal as you are going to get. When you have to have 38 power tubes and 44 preamp tubes just to have your amps running, plus back up stock for failure, replacement and trial you pretty much learn what tubes will work and where to buy them. I have purchased Mesa tubes and have no problem with them other than the price. I am sitting on a duet of Mesa labeled Svetlana STR-442's, Siemens STR-450's and a quad of Phillips STR-415 Green Labels. At the time I bought them, Mesa was the only company who had NOS of each tube.

Welcome to the tube business.

BB, surrender the Green STR-415's to me immediately! If you continue to sit on them they may break and be of no use at all! Didn't get a "wholesale" price on those by chance, did you? How about a STR-440 vs. STR-415 opinion for the unfortunate cheapskates that want to think the 440's ARE almost as good. Oh, and I know the 440's don't have the lifespan, I just want to know if they sound close, or if I should take the plunge and get a quad of 415's mydamnself. Z

The 440's don't make the true cut against the 415's or the Phillips 7581A's.
As far as surrendering, I'm not French.... :D

The 440 is a very nice tube when you can get it biased up a bit hotter.
I did a repair job and full retube on a Simil 2:95 with the Ruby/440 6L6 and Ruby EL34BSTR and slaved in from my 85 IIC+ head.
It was an incredible tone with enormous volume. They ran cool, but still cut it. In an adjustable bias amp, like the SLO, they sound very nice, but come on, there not Sylvania's. Heaven is Tesla E34L's and STR-415's in simul. A close second is 415's and Siemens, but the Sky Box is STR-415's and Phillips 6CA7 Fat Boys. The closest I can come is 415's and GT 6CA7 GE's. Rather than burn the 415's or 7581A's I have been extremely happy with the GT GE 6L6 and 6CA7. They are incredible and replaceable. I bought a quad of each for the price of less than 2 Phillips 6CA7's, but I am waiting to find some Blue Label Mesa STR-416's to get at least 1 IIC+ factory stock to 84' or 85'. I even have the old Ei preamp tubes that shipped with it.

Boogiebabies said:
SED's.

Check out www.dougstubes.com , you will have a better selection at great prices. If your in the Chicago area, Triode Electronics is awesome to deal with. I have NOS Svetlana;s I have been running since 2002 that have yet to drift a single ma. This guy knows how to test, match and burn in a tube. Out of two quads of 6L6's and on quad of EL34's, they were all perfectly matched to the ma and still are after a minumum of 6 months of use. www.triodeelectronics.com . Both Doug and Ned are awesome to deal with, but Ned is a freak about matching at higher voltages and full burn in's. I run an SED/ Old Svetlana #32 6L6 and a # 34 EL34 from Triode and they all draw 35ma, which warm up a Boogie nicely.

Siemens don't really like plate voltages over 460, so they may wear out faster or be more prone to blow. I personally have run Siemens at 483V in the C+, but never for extended periods of time. I'm skeert !!! They sound amazing though.

Believe it or not, I have a quad of Siemens that were run in my 67 plexi with plate voltage of 560+ for 10 years. Now a pair of them are in my 2204 and was using the other pair in my Mark III. I also have a quad in my 74 SL which has plate voltage over 450...IIRC around 475 or so. Just my .02 8)

Latest posts

Back