Mark IIC's fx loop: the DEFINITIVE SOLUTION

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

settecorde76

Reaction score
Yeah, I got it.... :D :D :D :D :D

Mesa%20fx%20loop.jpg

Believe me, this the best and definitive solution for the fx loop of any Mark IIC! It's simple: this is an external box that includes a Bogner-based parallel fx loop; it's driven by an additional 12AX7 (out of the box) and it has two separate controls for MASTER and MIX. It also has an ON-OFF switch, so you can exclude it from your amp whenever you want. With the MIX pot you can mix amp's signal with your pedals or your multifx; with the MASTER pot you can set the overall volume and, obviously, you can set amp's master at high settings (5 or 6, for example) and then set the master volume of the loop at less settings (like 2 or 3). This is a very cool thing which let you able to set your power amp vey hot, without killing your neighbours!
This fx loop sound amazingly clear and transparent, believe me; when you switch it off there's no difference in the overall sound of your Boogie! Clean and distorted sounds are always the best. This is an external box that doesn't damage your amp because isn't necessary to modify the chassis (or making additional holes on it); so, if you want to sell your Boogie in the future (great insane thing!), you can leave it in the amp or not without any devaluation of the Boogie itself.
Finally, after this modify I'm very satisfied and re-excited with my Boogie! Now I can play with it adding my favourites fx (chorus, delay, reverb and so on), without cursing Mr. Randall Smith....aehm.... :? :? :? ...God bless Randall everyday! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The Mark IIC and IIC+ effects loops are very different. Based on his sig, it looks like he's talking about the IIC and not your IIC+.

On the IIC, for example, the effects send and effects return come BEFORE the lead circuit. Therefore, you'll never get your overdrive lead sound through your echo or chorus unit. Nope. Even in lead mode, all that'll come out of your effects send is a cleanish tone (a little gritty maybe). Then, after going through your effects unit, you'd patch it into the IIC effects return where it would go THEN through the main part of the lead circuit. Basically, it'll sound a lot like when you just put an echo/chorus pedal in front of the amp. Fine for clean, terrible for leads. Ick.

It looks like this guy built something that maybe takes care of this. I'd definitely be interested in some clarification.

Chip

I'm keen to know more as well as this problem is getting on my nerves when I want to use delay on the lead channel, please let us know.

chipaudette said:
The Mark IIC and IIC+ effects loops are very different. Based on his sig, it looks like he's talking about the IIC and not your IIC+.

On the IIC, for example, the effects send and effects return come BEFORE the lead circuit. Therefore, you'll never get your overdrive lead sound through your echo or chorus unit. Nope. Even in lead mode, all that'll come out of your effects send is a cleanish tone (a little gritty maybe). Then, after going through your effects unit, you'd patch it into the IIC effects return where it would go THEN through the main part of the lead circuit. Basically, it'll sound a lot when you just put an echo/chorus pedal in front of the amp. Fine for clean, terrible for leads. Ick.

It looks like this guy built something that maybe takes care of this. I'd definitely be interested in some clarification.

Chip

I agree: the normal IIC is different than IIC+ because the fx loop of the IIC is unuseful at all, this is a well known problem. You can use a chorus or a reverb with the clean channel, and it sounds quite good; but if you switch to the drive channel the sound becomes terrible! So there are two solutions: upgrading a IIC to a IIC+ with a slight change in the overall sound (sincerely, I like the sound of IIC very much so I don't want to upgrade it), or adding an external box like this.
With this last option you can run all the fx without changing the original sound; believe me, my Boogie is reborn with this new parallel fx loop! You can use delays, choruses, reverbs and so on without any problems; the lead channel sounds exactly like I expected to hear from my Boogie.
I'm not a technician so I bought it from my usual amp tech that built it all (both the box and the loop); it costs 300 Euros. It's Bogner based because it's similar than a Bogner Ecstasy loop.

Well...I don't know exactly where it's wired to the amp...I'm much more interested in reaching my target: playing without being nervous! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joking apart, I'm sure that is wired before the power amp, so my multifx (an Alesis Midiverb 4) can process the real signal that cames out from the preamp.
My usual amp tech told me that my amp has a series loop without buffer, that is situated after the signal that cames out from reverb but before the graphic eq...so it's in the wrong position!

I'd just like to see a picture of where you plug that box into your amp, or has the tech soldered it into the board somewhere in the amp? I've seen other parallel FX loops go a for a lot less then 300 euro... I suppose for custom work than you it costs for the best, but I'm only wanting to stick a delay in the loop, so I'm trying to cut the costs somehow.

Mulemasta said:
I'd just like to see a picture of where you plug that box into your amp, or has the tech soldered it into the board somewhere in the amp? I've seen other parallel FX loops go a for a lot less then 300 euro... I suppose for custom work than you it costs for the best, but I'm only wanting to stick a delay in the loop, so I'm trying to cut the costs somehow.

I ask to my tech and I'll let you know as soon as possible...
Yes, I know that this modify is not so cheap but, after several unuseful attempts, I decided to get the best and definitive solution for this amp. Remember that this is a custom work; you may pay less if you decide to get the modify without the external box, but the tech must makes some holes in the amp for the knobs and the cables (and this is not so good, to my opinion).
I hope to post some audio samples soon, so you can hear the difference! :wink: :wink:

Here's the answer from my tech: this loop is wired between the graphic equalizer and the power amp.
So: PREAMP ---> GRAPHIC EQ ---> LOOP ---> POWER AMP
Several months ago I tried a line mixer (to convert a serial loop to a parallel loop), before to decide to buy this loop box but it wasn't helpful at all.

Thanks so much for that info. I am looking into this myself for the same reason as the loop is really unusable using the lead channel. Cheers

Mulemasta said:
Thanks so much for that info. I am looking into this myself for the same reason as the loop is really unusable using the lead channel. Cheers

You're welcome! I'm thinking to post some videos on YouTube, it can be a funny and useful idea. Feel fre to contact me if you need some further informations!
Take care. :wink:

Back