Mark IIC+ Speaker Wiring?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavarius

Reaction score
Ok... I plugged out the two cables going to the speaker in my IIC+ for a while when I was cleaning it and I'm not completely sure how they were connected. I think they were white to black and black to red. But I'm not sure, so I wanted to check with you guys.

There are two clamps on the speaker. Red and black. And there are two cables coming out of the jack. Black and white.

I opened up the jack and the black cable is soldered to the sleeve, and the white cable is soldered to the tip of the plug.

Could someone tell me the correct connections for the speaker?
I haven't turned this amp on yet, since I'm waiting for the new tubes I ordered to arrive, and I want to make sure that everything is alright etc. Also, what would happen if the cables were connected wrong? Does it matter? Or can the speaker blow up or the tranny die or something?

On an EV it should be white to red and black to black.

Tip = positive/signal
Sleeve= Ground

You will notice that the speaker will reverse polarity if it's hooked up with the wires black to red and white to black. A note would move the speaker inward. Normal phase moves the speaker out.

Ok. Thanks.

Does it say somewhere on the speaker which "color" is positive and which is negative?

Boogiebabies said:
You will notice that the speaker will reverse polarity if it's hooked up with the wires black to red and white to black. A note would move the speaker inward. Normal phase moves the speaker out.

How would this sound like? It doesn't cause any damage, does it?

Octavarius said:
Boogiebabies said:

How would this sound like? It doesn't cause any damage, does it?

Some amps have speaker phase switches. Just for now, I would not worry about how it sounds. In you desription you said you had a Red and Black clamp. To me this sounds like an EV 12L so red would be positive and black would be negative ( like a battery, get the hint !!!). Most regular speakers have solder tabs and are marked + or - on the tab.

It won't hurt anything. If you use another speaker that is out of phase it will sound funny but you probably won't notice it if you're using it by itself.

Back