Mark IIc+ settings on Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich

Reaction score
What's going on guys? I got a question for those that have a Mark II c+ and a Mark IV. I am trying to get as close of a sound as possible to a c+ with my IV, but I am curious about push pull knobs. On a c+, if you pull the treble, the master 1, and the lead drive what is the equivalent on a mark iv in the lead channels.

Basically, I found my own settings on my IV for when I play with the band. The settings are modern sounding and pretty heavy. But, I am playing around with Metallica tones from black album and before and can't seem to nail them. I found pics this guy monty jay had of what looks like hetfields rigs, but I can't seem to get the right settings. Whoever has a mark IIc+, based on these pics, the settings, how do you think I should set my IV to mimic this? I already use emgs and all that and i got a mesa cab with v30s, so its just a matter of knobs and what not. I'm not sure if i should have my fat, drive, or presence pulled, if the eq is a bit different on both amps etc. I just wish i had a II c+ hah any help is greatly appreciated.

sorry if i am confusing, i started rambling early on
james1993rackleft.jpg

jamesChead.jpg

ketiov said:
Those super scooped mids make me want to cry.
yea, weird huh? ... but yet they have (or had i should say) one of the best metal sounds on the planet. they also used parametric eq's, so that probably let's them take out the undesirable freq's from using such a drastic scoop. when I first saw that pic a while back (not this thread), i tried that on my M4 and it wasn't anything remotely usable...

As per the Mark IV Manual knobs should be:

Harmonics, Triode & Presence Pulled to close in on the Mark IIC+

So, I'd say use the above settings and experiment with the FAT & DRIVE PULL options...I'd say maybe the use the FAT first and see...I had a C+ Head not too long ago and was messing with these settings and the tone was very bassy and with little brightness (if that helps).

Yeah, there's gotta be more to it then those settings, those settings are referring to the 92/93 Live tone (which in my opinion is the greatest metal tone ever!). So the Black album tone while similar still has different settings (I'm sure). Try stuffing a U Haul blanket in your cab ( I heard Hetfield did this to deaden the sound during the Black album)...I tried it but didn't really like it, you may tho...Apparently they built a room around Hetfields tone, the room and it's components/set up had alot to do with his tone too, you can see in A Year & Half In The Life Of Metallica they had foam walls up around his cabs and blankets over them too...

METALLICA rules, I've been tryin for they're tone for ever, I can get close but not 100%

Check James playin the Where Ever I May Roam interlude on a Year in half in the life of Metallica - that tone rules!!!

Good luck, lemme know how it goes.

you guys really need to hear some soundboard bootlegs from 91-93 era live metallica to know how shitty their tone was then. I used to be a tape trader in the mid-late 90's. at one point i had over 300 metallica audio bootlegs.
audience recordings and soundboard recordings. so i heard this ****, and believe me when i tell you their tone then was very typical of the time. over processesd, bright (or "cutting"), and defintily not something i'd shoot for.
the painstakingly eq'ed and polished sound of binge and pirge isn't even that great.
their tone was very upper mids/highs heavy. there was almost no low end, and it lacked the balls and even the balance their live to has these days.

the 86-89 live tone on the puppets, and justice arena tours were way better, and closer to how c+'s and III's really sound.
i don't count the 88 MOR tour because they played stadiums where the sound is never good.

by the way, how'd he get a face plate with the presence knob on the front?!?!

give me one of those for my mark 3! i'd much rather have the presence knob of the front than a reverb knob i never use.

From my research the Mark IIC+'s with the International Output Transformers had the Presence knob on the front.

My opinion is based on the Live **** tone, and still in my opinion that's the tone of all tones!

You can't get ever get exact black album tones or anything after lightning really because they layered so much, mark iic+, mark iv, marhsall jmp 2003 etc etc.

I guess their puppets or justice live sound can be done with just a mark iic+ but black album tour I think that hetfield used 2 triaxes feeding into each other because 1 "didn't have enough gain" :)

What's wrong with this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxpGCaVtNhw&feature=related
(That's Boola btw).

All, just trying to figure out if there's a definitive answer to why the Presence is on the front of Hetfield's Crunch Berries amp.

I have a 60W Domestic/Reverb/EQ and a 100W Export/Simul/Reverb/EQ - neither has the presence on the front of the amp. So the idea that it is an international spec, doesn't fly. When I dealt with MB some time ago, I was told Hetfield used a non-export. So wondering what's up with that presence ont he front.

ANOTHER EDIT: I didn't read your first post clear enough, sorry.

I have added a sample with the settings of the hetfield C+
Look for the picture.
Naturally not the master at 4,5 but everything else is the same.
The second half of the sample is a MKIV
MKIV settings
Lead Gain 9 (not pulled)
Treble 4.25
Bass 2
Mid 0
Lead Drive 5 (not pulled)
Prescence 0 (pulled)
GEQ as shown on hetfields C+
Harmonics/Simul/Triode
Hope it helps

Obviously Master parameter isn't at Stage Level.
The first sample was me closing in on the Dominici, March into hell guitar tone, though I didn't go all the way.

http://web.mac.com/tonykareid/iWeb/TONY KAREID/Lyd.html

kiff said:
ketiov said:
Those super scooped mids make me want to cry.
yea, weird huh? ... but yet they have (or had i should say) one of the best metal sounds on the planet. they also used parametric eq's, so that probably let's them take out the undesirable freq's from using such a drastic scoop. when I first saw that pic a while back (not this thread), i tried that on my M4 and it wasn't anything remotely usable...
same here! wayyyyy scooped.

Latest posts

Back