Mark IIC+ - Availability and mod questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

visualrocker69

Reaction score
Two more IIC+'s went yesterday on the Bay; do a complete search for "mesa mark" and sort by price descending.

So this is the most sought after Mesa amp, only 2000 were made (less than half of which are simul-class) and yet about 5-6 of them have been sold just on the Bay within the past two months (or less).

I don't get it... do people value the couple thousand $$$ more than the amp? It seems inconcievable to me that an owner of the grail would do anything but cling to it like a fucking dragon sitting on top of its treasure :/

Also... I know that IIC's can be modded to IIC+ specs and III's also have the + mod... But I've heard that IIB's cannot be given the + mod. Is this true, and why? Especially since the III's can be modded, seems a bit odd...

Hmmm, I guess that's it. Let me tell you, there's nothing more frustrating than watching all of these IIC+'s being sold and being a few months away from having enough money to buy one myself :evil:

Isn't it crazy. Sometimes things like this happen. Then there are times that the amp you want is unattainable. I am with you in that it sucks not having the funds available to click buy-it-now on a bunch of nice candidates.

Russ said:
Isn't it crazy. Sometimes things like this happen. Then there are times that the amp you want is unattainable. I am with you in that it sucks not having the funds available to click buy-it-now on a bunch of nice candidates.

asdfghjkl;' it's just driving me crazy. A big chunk of my funds are at my bank at home and I don't have convenient access to them at the moment. Once the school year ends (May 7th) and I get organized, I'll have about $2300 total. I think I can sell my Fender Highway-1 Strat and Marshall 200 watt valvestate combo fairly quickly... should give me just enough. And I don't use either of those anyway :?

You might not have to sell the Fender. I would off the Valvestate anyway. Those are kind of poseur.

:cry: but...but... I WANT to sell it! *teardrop*

Hahah, no, seriously, I wouldn't use this for fucking firewood. Eeesh. I've played Mexican strats that feel and sound better than this half-assed attempt at an American strat.

... I'm going to have to edit this post before i try to sell on the bay for my own safety, aren't I? :wink:

Highway-1's aren't too bad. Just do a pickup change and have a good setup done. Maybe switch to 10's or 11's while you're at it. If you are the shredder type keep the 9's because they are more fun to bend the hall out of.

2b's can be modded to C+, but they don't do it anymore if I remember. There's a very small amount of modded B's out there, some of which are on this forum.

Lots of people are hurting financially right now for various reasons and for musicians, tax time can often mean making some harsh choices. Even though the IIC+ is a "grail" piece, it is also a liquid asset that is an easy sale which makes it a more attractive solution when crunch time hits. This can be a big plus for those in a position to buy and I would expect the trend to continue. People overseas are seeing a great opportunty to buy up our gear due to the weak (and falling) dollar, and lots of cool stuff is leaving the country every day. Plus, it's just an amp, and you can't eat it or sleep in it. Although you can sleep WITH it and if you tuck in just after a long session it will even keep you warm! Z

Zoner said:
Lots of people are hurting financially right now for various reasons and for musicians, tax time can often mean making some harsh choices. Even though the IIC+ is a "grail" piece, it is also a liquid asset that is an easy sale which makes it a more attractive solution when crunch time hits. This can be a big plus for those in a position to buy and I would expect the trend to continue. People overseas are seeing a great opportunty to buy up our gear due to the weak (and falling) dollar, and lots of cool stuff is leaving the country every day. Plus, it's just an amp, and you can't eat it or sleep in it. Although you can sleep WITH it and if you tuck in just after a long session it will even keep you warm! Z

****, it'll suck if I have to wait until the next tax season to find one. I'll have the money in a few months.

The IIC+ is a particular sound that many people like. Many of the people that give it grail status have never played one. They want one because of all of the hype. They have built up their expectations to the point that they will probably be disappointed when they finally buy one. It won't make you play like your hero and most likely won't make you sound like him either.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great amps. You just have to be realistic with your expectations.

sundaypunch said:
The IIC+ is a particular sound that many people like. Many of the people that give it grail status have never played one. They want one because of all of the hype. They have built up their expectations to the point that they will probably be disappointed when they finally buy one. It won't make you play like your hero and most likely won't make you sound like him either.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are great amps. You just have to be realistic with your expectations.

Right on advice. For a hell of a lot less money you could score a Mark III or even a Mark IV which are the even more tweaked and refined decendants of the IIC+ The older MkIII Red, Blue and Green stripes can get you so close that if you don't have a IIC+ sitting there to A B with you may just be amazed and have plenty of drinkin money left over to blow on a chick or something.

sundaypunch said:

I disagree. Many people who do not own one get Grailitis. Once you have one and dial it in it's like Samuel L's wallet in Pulp Fiction. BMF !!!

visualrocker69 said:
Yeah but... since I'm getting a EBMM JP-6... :p

Just a quick question. Is that you in your avatar?

If it is, you can cut back on the cosmetics and hair styling and have your money in no time. :D

This whole thing reminds me of when I could of bought a 1959 Les Paul Flame Top for $ 2200.00, but my dad thought it was too much money back in 1980.

Don't obsess. When it comes, it comes. Give it time. I was 23 by the time I was earning 65K. Be patient because the moral is that time and money do not always intersect at the right time. At 23 I could not find a C+ to save my ***. The moral here is that money is useless if the opportunity is not there. Now at 35 I live in a van down by the river.

visualrocker69 said:
I don't get it... do people value the couple thousand $$$ more than the amp? It seems inconcievable to me that an owner of the grail would do anything but cling to it like a f%&# dragon sitting on top of its treasure :/

One day you might hear these words:
"Honey, I'm pregnant!"
:eek:
A Mark IIC+ isn't the most imprtant thing in the world, and it's not like players throw them in the junkyards when they are done. I'm almost done getting my "grail" rig, it just took longer than I expected. 8)

Ha, wait until you hear it twice in two years !!! If I added up the toys alone I could have 5 IIC+'s. Instead of ditching the grails I thinned the guitars from 29 to 14. I remember picking up a 2555 Silver Jubilee and a MM JP6 at a guitar show. I dumped 2K in 20 minutes and my 8 month pregnant wife carried the JP for me. :D

Boogiebabies said:
I dumped 2K in 20 minutes and my 8 month pregnant wife carried the JP for me. :D

That woman is a "keeper" for sure. I also have a very understanding wife when it comes to my hobbies/habits. It will take some extereme hard times to make us part with our toys.

Boogiebabies said:
visualrocker69 said:
Yeah but... since I'm getting a EBMM JP-6... :p

Just a quick question. Is that you in your avatar?

If it is, you can cut back on the cosmetics and hair styling and have your money in no time. :D

This whole thing reminds me of when I could of bought a 1959 Les Paul Flame Top for $ 2200.00, but my dad thought it was too much money back in 1980.

Don't obsess. When it comes, it comes. Give it time. I was 23 by the time I was earning 65K. Be patient because the moral is that time and money do not always intersect at the right time. At 23 I could not find a C+ to save my ***. The moral here is that money is useless if the opportunity is not there. Now at 35 I live in a van down by the river.

BB funny question..What is your Job?

Back