Mark IIB has become distorted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptopmo

Reaction score
My amp has been in the case for about a year, and when I powered it up the sound is very weak and distorted. Is it power tubes or have the caps gone bad?

Maybe it is just that the contacts in the input or in the loop are dirty. Check that first. It happened to me some years ago with a II-B.

I would suggest that you plug the guitar into the effects return socket on the back, ideally with some boost or overdrive pedal to increase the level of the guitar a bit but it works ok without. If you get a good clean sound (it will be a bit quieter than normal if you dont have a booost) then the power amp and power tubes are all ok - then you know that the problem is in the preamp (or those effect loop jacks). If the sound is distorted/weak this way then you know that the problem is in the power amp or power supply area.

In an amp that has been left standing for a while corrosion of contacts is a quite likely cause. You can do a basic job of cleaning the loop jacks by spraying some contact cleaner onto a jack and plugging it in and out of both send and retn sockets a few times. You could also try reseating alll the tubes by rocking them a little in the sockets in case there is a bad connection there.

Back