Mark IIB and power attenuator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
the rig:

gtrrig1uu4.jpg

guitar goes to the pedalboard, with the requisite overdrive, compressor, noise gate, tuner, wah and vibe....

that goes into a 1981 Mesa Boogie Mark2B 60 watt short shell head....

out of that, directly into the Palmer PDI-09, which is how i capture the sound that goes on the recording, at line level.

pdi09-big.jpg

out of the palmer thru a parallel out, into a Weber Mass Lite attenuator, so i can bring the cabinet volume down for monitoring or micing, at either whisper or screaming volume.
masslite.jpg

out of the Mass Lite, into a AVATAR vintage closed back cab, with a Celestion Heritage G12.

i can mic that cab using either a sm57, or a AT4033 or Shure KSM44, and blend it with the direct Palmer sound, or just use the Palmer signal.

A Yamaha DG stomp effects pedal, is in the effects loop of the boogie, which is great live, but i never use it for recording..

i always record bone dry, and add effects at mix down.

the way i record with it tho, the palmer pdi-09 comes directly off of the amp output, BEFORE the weber sees it, and that's what goes to the mixer.

the weber then attenuates, and i have the option of micing the cab at that point, so the direct sees full output, the cab sees the attenuated output.
i can control the 'monitoring' volume at any volume up to full output (60 watts is pretty freakin' loud)......

or i can crank down on the attenuator, and record the boogie at full output, but at whisper volume.
i'd prefer an isolation room with a wide open cabinet, but alas, the landlord does not like that sound.

LOL

I'll vouch for gonzo's tone. Check out the "rigs and tones" section of the board and he has posted lots of fantastic things with his IIB rig using the attenuator!

example of numerous guitar tracks, all recorded with a mesa mark2b head, attenuated with a Weber Mass Lite, and recorded with a Palmer PDI-09 direct off the speaker out of the amp.
no mics.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/55202-walkedaway.mp3

Back