Mark IIB advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomoc

Reaction score
Hello-

Looking for some advice here. I am new to your board so go easy on me...

I have never played through a Boogie Mark IIB or really any Mark series.

I am looking for a change in amp, I currently play an early-90's Peavey Classic 50 2x12. The Peavey is not versatile at all, I need more choice when switching channels and I would love to have my own sound. I play in a band, original music, 1968 telecaster with Zvex superduper and a bit of delay, 80's thru current British pop & rock.

Having read all the praise Mesa Mark series get, I of course want one. I have been offered a Mark IIB, 12" speaker, 60/100 watt, Reverb and EQ, serial number is 10731, knobs are original. Is $1050 a good price, it is in good condition, not mint by any stretch. I will not have a chance to play this thing, it needs to be shipped to me, but they guarantee it is in good shape and have had it serviced.

I am willing to buy this without trying first, if these amps are as good as you all write, how could I go wrong, considering what I play today?

Any advice?

Thanks for your time.

Price you got it for is about the going rate. Someone going to chime in and say you got ripped-off. Unless this person could prove you could have got it for a better price, I rest my case.

Your's is fully loaded => Reverb and Graphic EQ.

You are aware that the first channel is cascaded with the lead channel so the first volume control effect the preamp gain of the lead channel.

Make sure you read the manual thoroughly and understand the volume controls. A common setting is "7","7","4 (master Lead)" and overall Master about 2 or higher depending on your hearings.

Remember, its not a high gain amp, its a moderate gain amp. If you like Fenders, then you'll like this amp. But w/ graphic you could tailor different amp tones too.

Personally Mark II are my favorite Mark Series amps since I could dial what I want out if very quickly. Mark III and Mark IV, I have to search for the Mark II tone and it only about 80% Mark II tone. But this is my preference which does not reflect Mark III, IV owners.

Thanks RR, I've read the manual on line so I have some idea of how the amp works.

I noticed in the audio clips section of this site that there are no clips for the Mark IIb. Do you have a recording online I could hear, anything?

$1050 for a Mark IIB is on the high side. They usually sell around $750-$900 with EQ/reverb and in good condition. For the price they are offering the IIB, you can pick up a Mark IV for about $1000. If it were me, I'd look around a little more...

Phyrexia-

I love that album, my god, this makes me want to buy the thing even more.

Tuna-

Thanks for the heads-up on the price. It's not easy finding a Mark IV is it?

I had never thought much of a Mark IIB until I heard this guy:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=13762

~trem

Back