mark II query

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russthesoundguy

Reaction score
Hey, long time reader, first time poster, so pls be gentle......

been offered a mark II serial no. 3006, thats it 3006, its a 60/100 with eq and reverb, in black, now going off the info in IIc+ for dummies, this is obv not a c+ but was wondering if i could get it modded? or will it give me a killer metal tone anyway without it bein a c+???
its got the pull deep, and all the other indicators, its jus got such a low serial number
any info/advice would be awesome.
cheers.

check here....

you can't get it modded...As to how heavy of a tone you can get is subjective, but it will NOT be as heavy as a C+.

Elpelotero said:
check here....

er, check where? this forum?
cheers for the straight answer about the mod,thats semi swayed my decision a bit, when i said heavy, i didnt mean in a thrash way, i meant more Lamb of God, where its heavy but creamy, not like a scooped kind of thing, im jus lookin for that "clean gain" kinda tone, where you can hear every note even though its gained up.

Do the LOOP TEST - that way you'll know for sure, it "may" have been modded in the past, who knows???

Plug your guitar straight into the RETURN jack of the FX LOOP with the amp in LEAD mode and hit a power chord and let it ring out, then as the chord is ringing out adjust the LEAD DRIVE control:

If you hear NO change in tone then it's a C+!

If you hear a change in tone then it's a C

I should have asked first tho...

Is it a IIA, B or C?

If it's a C, as far as I know it CAN be modded by Mesa to a C+, I think even if it's a B it could also, however the B's don't have a Pull Shift option on the Bass where as the C's and C+'s do....

You could also call Mesa directly and they'll tell you for sure! But based on your serial number it's a much older II, so yeah maybe it's a B or even older, the loop test won't hurt tho...

ahh my bad i I forgot to paste the link

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html

That amp WILL NOT sound like Mark4, or even close. Get a Mark4 or wait for the Mark5.

I think my Mark IIa has a number higher than that. My bet is that is one of the very first Mark IIa.

You can get a gainy clean tone and a strong crunch heavy enough for 70's metal, but not infinity sustain or saturated leads available. Also the Graph eq is quite important to the tone.

Is that a non reverb model? The Mark IIa and IIb non reverb models have a unused half of a 12xa7. This half tube could be used to be wired in series with the half 12AX7 from the lead channel to get a Mark IIc++ type of gain. This modification is quite easy to do.

This mod is just an idea I am tossing around with. I plan to try it with my Mark IIa. This new channel will give the same gain but probably not the same tone, and some adjustment will be needed to sound its best.

yea, im guessin its older than that, it does have a reverb as well, so no go on the cascading idea. Cheers for all this info and these replies guys, awesome stuff.
im thinkin of jus going down mkIV territory now tbh. I think its jus gonna be a better option for me more versatile etc...... cheers for all the help, realy appreciated, brilliant forum.!!!!!!

Russ

I have seen a IIA that was modded to a IIC+. It had the "pull deep" on the Master Vol. and a pull shift on the Bass pot (an updated IIC+ faceplate). The serial # was definately in the IIA range.

Written in sharpie on the top edge of the chassis was "IIA->IIC+" and the famous "MB" initials. It's a longshot, but I would check it out. :D

a mark IIb with the graphic can get pretty heavy.
slam the front with a maxon 808 or something if you need more.

Mark IV, you just said LOG, that's all they use and that's all that will get the sound IMHO

XD

I would suggest playing through the amp first before passing on it. The amp you describe with eq and verb and in the 60/100 set up is a very great amp. You may never catch that specific tone again. Wouldn't want you to have any boogie regrets.

Latest posts

Back