Mark I Shell on a Mark III? Answers Inside!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Breeze

Reaction score
Long story short, I recently snagged this Mesa headshell (Mark I). It was advertised as being for a Mark II/III/IV. I asked for a return/refund since it was significantly not as described. Seller refused. Reverb stepped in and gave a fair solution, so I kept the shell.

Once I took all the time to swap over my Mark III chassis to it, I quickly realized this had the earlier spacing from the Mark I, and early Mark II which spanned roughly 72-78' from what I can find.

It looked much closer than it really is when just eyeballing the different mounting patterns, I had to elongate the holes nearly half an inch to make the chassis mounting point holes line up with the shell. Would have been better off just drilling new holes and filling the old holes.

Here's how it looks afterwards. I may fill the gaps with a dowel, then put a small piece of tolex there to patch it up and make it look better, but it's not nearly as bad as I expected it would be.

Image attachment

Latest posts

Back