Mark I ...original. Update: What would you pay??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Yup, an original Mark I combo, dyno tape, Altec spkr, blonde tolex, good shape that I know of and "may" be up for my consideration. I do NOT "need" this amp (I sold off others and left myself with two "core" amps, thank you). But this seems like a cool part of Boogie history, and so am considering it (if he really decides to sell). But I don't want it to just sit there and look like boogie art. How's she sound? What'll I get? What kind of tones are there at realistic volumes (so forget about me doing a Carlos-gets-feedback tribute as I'd get the power cut and tossed out :) ).

Anyone here have one or used one I'd really appreciate your thoughts and experience on this. For reference, I have a DC5 and Express 525 which are my core-duty amps that I rely on. Thanks!

Edward

I can't really crank my Mark I most of the time, so I can vouch for it preserving it's awesomeness even at lower volumes. Of course, it sounds better cranked, but what doesn't?

Get it get it get it man, it's such a sick amplifier. Versatile, too - I'd say it's as versatile as a Mark II IME.

Pics? (For funsies, of course)

my thoughts are: creamy lead tones, chimey cleans and good rock crunch.

Thanks for sharing your experience, guys. I hope it comes to pass, but the seller's an acquaintence of mine, a real gear hound of some nice stuff, and he's still on the fence on this. He just recently floated the idea of selling it to me because he knows I love Boogies and he's not a real Mesa aficianado, but he knows this amp is special. I need this amp like a hole in the head!!! But it just beckons...
Will let you all know soon, I hope!

Edward

get a weber mass lite, and find the sweet spot.

no need for sheer volume when you're only looking for saturation.

Hey all,

Advice PLEASE: what would you realistically pay for a clean, original (no mods), properly-working (was gone over by Mesa Hollywood maybe 2 years ago) Mark I ?? This is the real deal and no reissue. Good, original cream tolex, and the original Altec speaker which sounds right on.

Just an update to my original post: my friend has now decided to sell! He's a good guy, and will give me a break on the price, but he's not giving this badboy away.

Here's my problem: I don't "need" this amp in any way, but think it would be really cool to have a real, original Mark I ...but am finding it hard to justify the expense as I have two Boogies that I already rely on (and love). So what would be a good but realistic price to pay for such a wonderful piece of boogie history? Thanks!

Edward

Latest posts

Back