Mark I, original, not reissue ...thoughts???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
I do not need another amp ...I got it covered. And I just bought a really nice (price!!) acoustic and can't justify another expen$e! That said, I love things Boogie, and this one seems like a real opportunity: it is a clean (not mint, but good shape used), unmolested, original MK1 with the orig AltecLAnsing, already had been "gone through" by a good tech (not factory), and it is in cream tolex of which I already have two matching cream cabs (an EV Thiele and an EV openback), even dymo labels in tact. It's from a friend who is lightening his load of gear a bit. So I've got first dibs on it.

- Your thoughts of what is a fair price?
- And why I should buy this when I already have Boogs and Fenders, all of which already make me smile. Talk me off this ledge...

Edward

I say go for it, especially since you already have the cabs. How often does an unmolested Mark I come along? A Mark V may be nice, but it's still not a vintage Mark I. Grab it while you can! 8)

MarkofXlnts said:
I say go for it, especially since you already have the cabs. How often does an unmolested Mark I come along? A Mark V may be nice, but it's still not a vintage Mark I. Grab it while you can! 8)

Edward,

I'd say I have to agree with MarkofXInts on this one. FYI - I've read most of your posts regarding your Mk III over the past year, so I know how feel about Boogies. This seems like a no-brainer if the price is right. I also love my Mk III and picked up a MK IIa (original JBL speaker) a few months back because the deal was a good one. I will say, I wasn't necessarily blown away by the tones out of the gate, even though the cream tolex and cane grill continued to smile at me. After several tube changes and tweaking, tweaking, tweaking...I began to understand and love it more and more. It's tonal palate is very different from my MK III, in a good way. You being the ultimate tweaker will likely have a similar experience. In the end, if it doesn't work out for you, you will have gained firsthand experience with an original MK I, and no doubt your coffers will have been replentished.

Tim

Thanks, guys. And thanks, Tim (...great, you've "read" me ...if I said anything monumentally lame, it's only because that comes naturally!).

The "history" and "coolness" of an orig MkI is what attracts me; that and the cream tolex which would match my oldie cream cabs ...hmmm, "matching gear" ...that sounds so shallow, but it sure would be purty. ;)

Yeah, I am a tweaker of gear, but once I "arrive" I stop and leave it as is. I suppose I am asking someone to talk me off this ledge ...but how hard am I really trying given that I posted on a boogie forum!

So here's the deal: I played it last year, for maybe 10 minutes, and liked it, but frankly my friend and I were embroiled on another musical endeavor (and he wasn't selling then), so I wasn't really "listening" with critical ears. Since nothing sounded "wrong" we just played on. So what tone is this MKI w/AltecL. going to give me? How would this piece of boogie history add to my DC5 and MKIII's tonal palatte? Is it true that these orig I's are more "Fendery" than their progeny?? Any insight in tone/dynamics would be really appreciated!

Edward

Edward,

Let us know what comes of this opportunity (notice that I say "opportunity"....not meant to influence your decision or anything :wink: ".

Yup, I will keep all informed of this opportunity! :)

The "problem" (if one could call such good fortune such a thing!) is that I just plunked down quite a bit of change (heck, haven't even received it yet) on a Taylor 12-String that I have been thinking about for years, so I don't see buying this amp right away. Which of course, to my friend's credit, is no problem since he's in no hurry and willing to wait for me to recoup funds. Nice, eh. :D When it happens, pics will be shared ...Thanks, all!!

Edward

Latest posts

Back