Mark I channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Avery

Reaction score
I've owned the mark V combo for a while now, and I had more or less found a use for all 9 of the channels.

All except for the Mark I channel. It just didn't sound right for anything. I couldn't find the context, so to speak. No big deal - they can't all be winners, right? 6 great channels, two good channels, and one channel that's a dud isn't too bad.

The other day I decide I'm going to try some "I Love Rock and Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. None of my go-to channels are working. it's a classic mid gain number, so I try crunch and edge, but they both lack that sloppy but powerful low end punch that you need to duplicate that sound. everything on Channel 3 is way too tight.

That's when I try out Mark I. I turn the gain to about 9 o'clock (pointing directly left), and there it is. Big ol' wide-open loose floppy low-end-y rock & roll lovin' tone with just the right amount of punch and not too much articulation.

And of course, once I understood the context, a bunch of other sounds started to make sense in that channel too.

This amp is so good that it has sounds you don't even know you need yet.

I too have recently found favor with the mark I mode but I push the gain a bit more to about 1 oclock, bass & mid around 9 oclock, treble and prescence around 12 oclock . Sounds awesome with just about any humbucker guitar . EQ set in the hard V setting

screamingdaisy said:
Early Marks had that big, fat '70s rock vibe going on.
That's because a lot of that big, fat '70s rock was made with early Marks!
Boo-ya! :D

After hating Mark I for a while, I am now using it more than Crunch. IMHO, to my ears, it comes the closest to my old Marshall TSL. I don't know how it compares to other Marshalls, but for me, it gets that sound. I also adjust the GEQ as recommended elsewhere into a straight slant to the upper right.

Mark I is probably my favorite mode in the entire amp...I play a lot of faster rock and metal and the thick low end keeps my high gain sounds from getting buzzy....my settings are something like:

Thick switch ON
45 watts, tube rectification
Volume - 10 to noon
Gain - 1:30
Low - Off
Mid - 11:00
High - 2:00
Presence - 1:30

I can't seem to dial the blanket off with this mode. :(
It might be the combo effect but I'll have to try harder tonight.

jb's 52 said:

Channel volume past 12, treble up and bass and mid down.

jb's 52 said:

Try the setting the GEQ to something like this (going from memory, but check in settings thread for a pic):
_
_
--------- _ -------------------
_
_

I personally find the Mark I sound to be an almost hidden treasure on this amp. Whether I crank the gain or back it off, the tone always blends nicely with any music I have tried recording on.

golfnguitarz said:
jb's 52 said:

Try the setting the GEQ to something like this (going from memory, but check in settings thread for a pic):
_
_
--------- _ -------------------
_
_

Oh crap - that didn't show up correctly! Just look for the pic in the settings thread.

I dialed in Mark I to my liking and haven't used Ch. 3(any mode) since! Sounds hard to believe, maybe crazy, but I just can't get the low end response from any other mode n the amp that I like.

smd24fan said:
I dialed in Mark I to my liking and haven't used Ch. 3(any mode) since! Sounds hard to believe, maybe crazy, but I just can't get the low end response from any other mode n the amp that I like.

Not crazy, I can see that. To me, it feels like there is some overlap between Mark I and channel 3. You can definitely get a pretty big high gain sound out of Mark I.

Back