Mark Five or orginal IIc+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremona

Reaction score
Hi

As some of you know i have a loaded DRG C+ head and i love it.

Only thing is it has the 100pt tranny, my amp is a late model C that was converted in 2006,and aparently it sounds everybit as brutal as eny metallica sound i have heard.

But I want a second amp, becasue i want the versitility.

I was set on a 105 tranny c+, but reading abut the mark Five and hearing sound clips of it plus that its much cheaper and proberly wont have to worry to much about it breaking down makes me think that maybe i shuld get a five instead.

Basicly i have to questians do you think that the dif betwen a DRG with 100 pt and DRG with 105 is large enourgh to justifie me buying one ?, i dont want to go through all the troubles only to find out the sound 99.9 % the same .

And do you think that the mark Five in c+ mode sound like a org c+ with 105 tranny. ?

Only thing i could possibly would like alittel more of from my C+ is alittel more balls, aparently the Five shuld have tons of that, but have never heard one, or a orginal c+

thanks

What I think you should do is find a MKV and try it for yourself. The MkV is said to be like 8 amps in 1, so I'm sure you'll find some diversity. Not sure you'll be able to cop the exact sound/feel of the IIC+ even though Mesa says you can. The best thing is for you to do is track one down and spend a little time with it BEFORE you buy it.
Jim

It all depends on what you value most, versatility or exact original DRG feel and dynamics. My views have not changed since this was written.

Read this post: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

Hi Jim

That would also be the only right thing to do, the problem is that there is no shop in denmark that has a five for demoing.

The only Boogie dealer in Denmark is saddly very Pro Marshall and almost intensionally dont want to sell mesa boogie amps, or promote a sale.

Basicly the C+ i have sounds everybit as good as i was let to belive it would, i also realize it has nothing to do with Patrucci or metallica, i just love the Mark sound, and the C+ just has the sweetness yet brightness amd feel i was looking for that the other marks i have heard diddent have.

I also realize it has largly to do with its feel, i know no words that can describe it but i know you guys that has one know exactly what im talking about.
I have all ready grown very atached to this amp.

Mine has new tubes in it my 4'12 Cab is new and my current residens dont alove me playing eny louder the Lead on 1 and master on 2, wich proberly means that the tiny lack of balls is unfounded.

I think that unless i find a amazing deal on a fully loaded IIc+ head , i see no reason why i shuld get another c+ when i like mine so much and that it sound so close to a 105 tranny version, especialy for my playing.

A new five head costs the same as 4500 usd new her in denmark , so thats out of the questian , instad i could buy a secondhand one use a step down and if i dont like it or cant find a use for it i can sell it with a good profit here in denmark.
It would also serve as a perfect Live amp.

But if enyone else has some pointers pleas dont hold back

Thanks

JOEY B. said:
It all depends on what you value most, versatility or exact original DRG feel and dynamics. My views have not changed since this was written.

Read this post: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

Hi joey

Thanks for the Link Excelent , you guys have way to many C+ amps :p

Its the Feel thing im worry about because thats what i love about my DRG, sound can be tweaked but the feel is much more complicated, thats also why i ditched the parametrical EQ´s because the toke away abit of the feel.

I thing it will boil down to wheter i can liv knowing that the 105 tranny version excists, and that it might be better for my playing.
And not as much if i would prefere a V over a org c+ because i dont thing i would.

I wont sell my C+ because i love it, and that i might actually prefere it to other c+ amps
I just cant decide if i shuld save money and get a V or get a org c+.

And im not worryed about Clean sound because i have a simual sat 85 .

Thanks

cremona said:
Thanks for the Link Excelent , you guys have way to many C+ amps

One can never have too many. The first picture with the long heads only has one C+ (the wine red taurus) KRG Coliseum in it. The others are a Mark V, Mark III Coliseum, and a Mark III Simul greenie. The second pic has a DRG, DGX, DRG, and HG Mark IIC+ amps. Do not get caught up in the power transformer debate, The 105 HG sounds more brutal than my 105 DRG, and not near as fierce as the KRG. The question is, how mean do you really want it?? If you find me a DRGX, I would gladly give one of my "105" amps for trade. :wink:

Joey nailed it...the difference is not going to be night and day. You're getting caught up in a technicality.

IMO there's only 1 amp that can capture the sound of a 105 transformer....and that's an amp with the 105. The Mark5 will not cop that exact tone/feel because it does not have the 105. Simple as that. Don't chase something that isn't there. If it really bothers you that much that you need a 105, just sell your C+ now, recoup some funds, and buy an original when you have the chance.

I think il just take it easy and get to know my amp before i rush out and get another one.

My amp had some troubles , it was the tube sockest, Got them replaced and got brand new 2 Winged C 6l6 and Mullard el34`s, when i got it home it sounded just great, but over thise last days it has become noticbly more brutal sounding and thick, i dont know much about tubes but i suspekt there is some kind of burn in time required.

I cant pay loud at the monet so the tubes have not been pushed.

Every day i tweak and learn more about it,

A side not , i also studied have to place the mics(shure 57) when i record guitar tracks, and found out i did it all wrong, i just slamed the mic directly in the center of the speaker cone and that equals very Bright unmeathy sound, when its placed 1.5 inch from the out ring it gets smoother and more ballsy.

The sound i get when i record this way now with the amp and new tubes runned more in its the bomb :D

JOEY B. said:
cremona said:
Thanks for the Link Excelent , you guys have way to many C+ amps

One can never have too many. The first picture with the long heads only has one C+ (the wine red taurus) KRG Coliseum in it. The others are a Mark V, Mark III Coliseum, and a Mark III Simul greenie. The second pic has a DRG, DGX, DRG, and HG Mark IIC+ amps. Do not get caught up in the power transformer debate, The 105 HG sounds more brutal than my 105 DRG, and not near as fierce as the KRG. The question is, how mean do you really want it?? If you find me a DRGX, I would gladly give one of my "105" amps for trade. :wink:

Thats one hell of a amp collection , i wish i could bring my amp and play it against them that would be really interresting :D

When you ask like that , i want it as mean as possible, that just the nature in me. :twisted:

I but think i know what you mean, the none simula marks sound more brutal, but the mark amps i have heard that only had 6l6 tubes and no simual class sounds to fenderish to me by that i mean really dynamic but a bit glassy, for me its simual class that really gives the sound i like about the mark amps so maby no not as brutal as possible just a simual that sounds as brutal AP. :wink:

Back