Mark five 25 with a Dr. Z Cab 1x12 or Mini Recto 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karel

Reaction score
Hi, I just got the new Mark five 25 and right now im using it with an Orange 2x12 16 ohm cab loaded with V30's. It sounds really good although I still haven´t been able to crank since I have the cab at home. I decided to buy a 1x12 8ohm cab with V30 as well, mainly for portability (my new car has a small trunk) and I also want to run it with a matching 8ohms, although Im not sure how much difference the 8ohm will make vs the mismatching 16ohms.

Anyways, I got my eyes on a Mini recto 1x12 straight cab and also on a Dr. Z 1x12 convertible cab which is 8ohms and has a V30 too and its somewhat bigger (they call it convertible cause it has 3 back panels which can be removed to make it an open cab). The Dr. Z costs $130 more than the Mesa but if its worth it I don't mind spending a little more. I would really appreciate some feedback from you folks since I guess there is probably here more Mesa knowledge than anywhere else. Please let me know if you have any experience with any of this cabs, I dont want to compromise the nice hi-gain distortion from the amp, so far all the reviews I find from the Dr. Z are from the telecaster and soft rock forums so Im a little worried its not the right cab for this amp, but how off can it be from the Mesa? Cheers!

The MR 1x12 cabs sound OK if you put them directly on the floor, but they can be a bit anemic. For an amp that can bring the thunder like the MV25, I recommend something with more volume and/or ported. I can recommend the Theile 1x12 and the closed-back widebody ported 1x12, having played through both quite a bit. Directly on the floor, of course.

I don't know anything about the DR Z cab.

In the end, it's going to be personal taste, but I think you ought to consider the breadth of tone available from a Mark and how the 1x12 cabinets tend to limit it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Mesa uses Vintage 30's that are tweaked a bit and sound a bit different than the "Off the Shelf" version.

I opted to order a vertical 2x12 with mine but if I were to choose a 1x12 I'd go with Elvis' recommendation on the ported cabs. I imagine a matching pair of the Mesa widebody 1x12 closed back cabs would both look and sound great.

I`m running mine thru a Thiele Spec cab loaded with a Zakk Wylde EV. Sounds awesome. But I am considering maybe adding an Express
19 open back cab.

Latest posts

Back