mark 4 vs mark 5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orpheo

Reaction score
hi guys,

it's been quite some time since I've logged in on this board, due to moves and stuff, but here's the story.

I have a mark 4 now, which I really love, but I'm getting fed up with having to adjust the EQ every time I change between channel one or two, to channel 3. from what I've heard, the mark 5 has a preset-eq (the V-preset) so you can use that, and still have the eq sliders in a different position, and set that to other channels.

well, that would be perfect for me, cause I use the V-setting on the third, and something different for the first and second channel.

but my biggest concern is that the mark 5 might not have as much gain as the mark 4.

am I right on both accounts, or wrong?

PS: I can trade my mark 4 and a rivera 212 cab for the mark 5 combo, but I have to pay an extra 1200 euro's. the mark 5 here costs 3200 euro's (1500$ and 4000$, respectively). am I being scr*w*d?

Don't sell the iv. Wait and try the v. I love and own both. Plenty of gain, that's not an issue. The preset is to scooped for me. Try it yourself for sure.

Scary said:
Don't sell the iv. Wait and try the v. I love and own both. Plenty of gain, that's not an issue. The preset is to scooped for me. Try it yourself for sure.

uhm... why? whats the benefit of the iv with the v side by side? I'm afraid I don't have the space in my home for that. I have over 30 guitars, and engl special edition stack, marshall halfstack, rivera double quarterstack (which will be cut down to quarterstack...), and I don't have the space for an extra combo :(

I wish I could try it out, but shopowners don't have the 5 in stock. they have to order it, and they will only order it, if the customer really wants to buy (and is ready to buy).

Orpheo said:
Scary said:

uhm... why? whats the benefit of the iv with the v side by side? I'm afraid I don't have the space in my home for that. I have over 30 guitars, and engl special edition stack, marshall halfstack, rivera double quarterstack (which will be cut down to quarterstack...), and I don't have the space for an extra combo :(

I wish I could try it out, but shopowners don't have the 5 in stock. they have to order it, and they will only order it, if the customer really wants to buy (and is ready to buy).

um, your missing the point.

He is saying not to sell the Mark IV untill you give the V a solid try.

Orpheo said:
uhm... why?

Lots of people who switch to the Mk V like the Mk V, however there are a number of people switched and wish they still had their Mk IV.

The general consensus is that the V has a better R1 and R2, but some prefer the sound of the IV's LD channel.... and if you're one of those dudes who spends 99% of your time on the LD channel then you may prefer to keep the Mk IV.

Orpheo said:
Scary said:

I don't feel that the IV sells for enough money to make it worth parting with. Even in a closet somewhere, someday you may want to pull it out. Not to mention you could use it for a stereo rig.

Sold my my mark IV to get the Mark V and I don't miss the IV at all, everything is better on the mark V, starting from the cleans to channel 2.
so you won't be disappointed, lots of gain on the mark V, I call it the ultimate amp, my two cents.

MesaManBoogie said:
Sold my my mark IV to get the Mark V and I don't miss the IV at all, everything is better on the mark V, starting from the cleans to channel 2.
so you won't be disappointed, lots of gain on the mark V, I call it the ultimate amp, my two cents.

I play my FIVE 95% of the time, but when I plug in that IV.. it's a totally different animal. I can say the FIVE is better overall by a good margin, but there are some things the IV can do that it can't.

I play my FIVE 95% of the time, but when I plug in that IV.. it's a totally different animal. I can say the FIVE is better overall by a good margin, but there are some things the IV can do that it can't.

That's what I hear from people that have experience with both.

A musician friend owns a Mark IV, but ordered a Mark V with the intention of switching. He said that he tried to like the Mark V, but couldn't find some of the tones that he really depended on from the Mark IV. And I read the same thing but in reverse all the time from Mark V owners.

While there is lots of overlap between the two, I think it's fair to say that they are simply different amplifiers.

I played my mark 4 again today, and boy, that mark4 really sounds great. I tried a lot of mark 4's when settling on this one, but the mark 5 has some attraction, I just can't ignore that.

but I read a lot of contradicting stories. Some say the 5 is the 4, but with more and better (features), some say the 5 is really unique. I can't place that with the stuff mesa puts in their site (they say in not so many words what I stated earlier, that the 5 is the 5, but bigger, more, better, etc etc).

the thing is, I like my lead channel in the pentode-setting, and the second channel in triode, but the first also in pentode. so I keep on switching like crazy :p the graphic EQ also keeps on being annoying, cause I like the sharp V-shape EQ on the lead channel, but something else on the other 2, and the preset setting on the Graphic EQ on the 5, should make that ideal for me.

nevertheless, I'll give the 5 a major runthrough as soon as its possible for me.

Scary said:
Orpheo said:
Scary said:

I don't feel that the IV sells for enough money to make it worth parting with. Even in a closet somewhere, someday you may want to pull it out. Not to mention you could use it for a stereo rig.

Bingo, you hit the nail on the head. I have a custom hardwood MK IV that I had purchased the year before the release of the V....and no way I will sell it what it would garnish right now. So, I take it out every so often. I would say....having both the IV and V -- I can attest that the lead channel on the IV is significantly better than it's version on the V.

In anticipation of the testdrive of the mark 5: what makes the lead of 5 better than the lead of mk4?

About the resale-value: I bought my mark 4 second hand, in a brand-new condition, with the hangtag still on it, even with refreshed tubes (eventhough the old tubes were still fine). I paid only 1550 euro's for the amp, thats like 2000$, which is a major bargain for mesa's in the Netherlands. thats why I only need to pay 1200 euro's (1500-1600$) + an old rivera 212 cab, for the mark 5.

I don't know. Everyone's opinion counts but it's a personal preference. I'd take the IV over the V every day. If you can play them both at the same time that would be the best way to go. Then decide. Don't get caught up with having to have the latest Mark. Just keep the one you like best. Nothing else matters.

I just got the V and I would think you could get pretty close to the IV lead channel, plus for me the option of the solo boost is indispensible.

Here is the sound I dialed in on my V.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0WiJWgXk0

This week I'll give the V a run... i'm very inclined to buy it, still I would love to try the IV but since there is no used Mark IV in Portugal... I think I will love the V and the IV will be like a dream (the one you will never give a try because there is none to try...)

I owned the IV for a year or so, and switched to the V and I've had that for about a year and I don't look back. I was one of those guys who spent 95% of the time on the lead channel of the IV because, let's be honest, the other channels were rubbish.

The V has GREAT sounds on all channels, the IV lead is iconic, but you can get very close to that using channel 3 on the V with mark IV mode and an overdrive pedal like a BB preamp.

I'd say switch, the benefits out way the negative points.

espmaster1 said:
I owned the IV for a year or so, and switched to the V and I've had that for about a year and I don't look back. I was one of those guys who spent 95% of the time on the lead channel of the IV because, let's be honest, the other channels were rubbish.

The V has GREAT sounds on all channels, the IV lead is iconic, but you can get very close to that using channel 3 on the V with mark IV mode and an overdrive pedal like a BB preamp.

I'd say switch, the benefits out way the negative points.

I disagree with that assessment in bold....agree on all other points. If I didn't have a IV, my choice would be the V. But if you already own a IV, I don't think it's redundant to add the V. IMO the IV lead on the V is not on par with the actual IV without help..and even then not the same. Of course, overall the V is the better amp, and the one to own because of all of the modern improvements made over the IV.

so you need an overdrive pedal of some kind to get a high gain tone from the mark 5? thats also contradictory to what I've been reading. boy, its confusing. :p I found a nice mark 5 used nearby, I hope the guy hasn't sold it already (don't think so, long live the recession huh? ) and maybe I can buy it this weekend.

Orpheo said:
so you need an overdrive pedal of some kind to get a high gain tone from the mark 5?

No you don't! You can certainly get high gain sounds from a Mk V without any extra pedals. I'm guessing what the guys above mean is that, without a pedal, you can't get as much gain as you can get from a Mk IV when you max out its Gain and Drive. The Mk V only has a single Gain pot per channel and uses a fixed Drive at 7.5 for the Mk IV equivalent mode.

And yes, people do use extra pedals for high-gain/metal sounds with all kinds of Mark amplifiers. You can get more gain and sustain but that is not the only reason. Pedals can also change the character of the distortion - which is why many people want a Tube Screamer instead of plain clean boost, in particular, to make the distortion sound tighter and more aggressively biting.

Latest posts

Back