mark 4 vs mark 5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LesPaul70 said:
The Mk V only has a single Gain pot per channel and uses a fixed Drive at 7.5 for the Mk IV equivalent mode.

7.75... but who's counting. :)

The two issues I've found with the Mark V regarding the amount of gain available is the 'bright' switch and the JJ preamp tubes.

Bright - Since Boogie labeled the dark position "Normal" I suspect a lot of people figure this is the "normal" when the "Bright" position is actually the normal position. I've found that the treble and harmonic roll off in this position makes the amp sound smoother, but also gives the impression that the amp has a lot less distortion going on than it does in the bright position.

JJ 12AX7 - I've always found JJs to be kind of lacking in the gain department. Whenever I install them in an amp it's like I've backed the gain off 1 or 2 positions. This can be compensated for, but if you were to do a direct A/B comparision of the two amps I could see how this could skew results.

When I had the stock 6L6 tubes in my Mark V, I had to use a Fulltone OCD for boost to get the gain I wanted to hear. Ever since I switched out my tubes to EL34's, I have all the gain I need. In fact I have found myself reducing gain some and now I'm selling the Fulltone pedal. Plus I really love the tones I'm getting from all three channels and their modes.

The problem is, you cant play the V and "get it". You really have to own it for a month or so.

The V is a different amp from the IV and if you had a certain setting you liked on the IV, the V may not have it.

I think the V has enough gain for anything you'd like to do, but you need to EQ the amp more aggressively than you would a IV.

I'm totally happy with the tones my 4 gives me, I only wanted the 5 cause it seemed easier to dial in tones and powersettings on the 5...for example, I like r2 to be class a, triode, but lead pentode, simulclass... but if the 5 really differs that much, maybe I should stick to my good'ol 4.

Once again, its almost criminal, how few stores carry mesa boogie. Its always Marshall, English, orange, fender and Hughes and kettner...

Orpheo said:
so you need an overdrive pedal of some kind to get a high gain tone from the mark 5? thats also contradictory to what I've been reading. boy, its confusing. :p I found a nice mark 5 used nearby, I hope the guy hasn't sold it already (don't think so, long live the recession huh? ) and maybe I can buy it this weekend.

I said if you wanted to get closer to the Mark IV lead sound you'd need an OD pedal to push it to that type of compression. that was in the MK IV

The V has PLENTY o' Gain

Also, the thing about the IV that I noticed was that it was temperamental. I'd go to bed with great tone, and wake up and have to re dial in new settings depending on the circuitry's mood. :oops:

I have owned my mark V for over a year now and I still have my Mark IV.
Just sayin...

I sometimes wonder if I'd have been happier with a IV than a V, in light of these threads.

On the other hand, I spend less and less of my time on channel 3 lately.

This is from Petrucci's Twitter account:

"Using the MK 5 now. It's amazing and the MK IV mode is exact!"

Nazgul666 said:

He is endorsed my Mesa. Anything he says has to be viewed as an advertisement.

ryjan said:
Nazgul666 said:

But notice he doesn't say the IIC+ mode is exact.

I bet Petrucci didn't sell his Mark IV's or his IIC+'s.

Don't sell your IV. Ok, I'm done. :?

ryjan said:
Nazgul666 said:

He pays full price for his gear just like the rest of us. I'm not a Petrucci fanboy - I don't even have a single Dream Theater .mp3, let alone a full album. I just respect Boogie as a company for not whoring themselves out in the name of advertising and brand recognition.

ifailedshapes said:
ryjan said:
Nazgul666 said:

He pays full price for his gear just like the rest of us. I'm not a Petrucci fanboy - I don't even have a single Dream Theater .mp3, let alone a full album. I just respect Boogie as a company for not whoring themselves out in the name of advertising and brand recognition.

Does Mesa pay for endorsements ?

Petrucci doesn't pay full price for Mesa's. The endorsement deal is buying stuff at cost directly from Mesa. It ain't free, but it ain't full price either. I'm sure he gets something for his trouble; photoshoots, etc. Petrucci is a business man too.

Latest posts

Back